Admiral caterpillars to relocate in Chch

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

I have found about 100-200 caterpillars in New Brighton that are on a city garden bed that is presently 4 nice Nettle beds. They are all sizes & I fear that the council will eventually realise they have a ‘weed bed’ instead of a ‘flower bed’, so would like to see people relocate them to safe patches of Nettle. There is a lot of Yellow Admirals around the area & I haven’t seen ‘spare Nettle’ to relocate them too myself. So if people want to know the exact location, please email me (robert @ nzbutterfly.info) for directions.

I would like to know of anyone who is breeding Admirals in Chch as I often find caterpillars that need relocating around the city. I can sometimes help in delivering them if I’m in town too.

Robert.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Terry,

Yes, it would make a good ‘garden city’, however, being the ‘quakey city’ at present has meant the City Council has being more worried about infrastructure, then it’s gardens. Which is great for Admirals.

Yes, I have rescued over a 100 at a time in the past from the Council spraying, so they will do it one day – hopefully not soon.

Robert.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Robert

To me, it already sounds like my vision of the “perfect city garden”! I hope you find homes for the larvae before it’s too late. It would be a great shame to see that many wiped out in one foul swoop. I bet the local council if they new of my existence would be pleased I live on the other side of the world.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.