admiral pillars

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

margie
    Participant

Hi to all the admiral carers.

I have posted a photo of 2 admiral pillars that fell out of the nettle while I was getting seeds. I have potted a nettle plant and it is doing well so have put the pillars on it. It also has about 8 other small pillars that also fell from the nettles.

My question is will the pillars settle down and wrap themselves back in a leaf. They have been crawling over the plant all afternoon and eating nettle leaves but there is no sign of them wrapping themselves in a leaf. Any advise will be much appreciated as I am very anxious as to whether I have damaged there cycle.

Cheers Margie

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

margie
    Participant

It is really exciting Angie it is my 1st Admiral pillars so is a real learning time for me. Thank you yes I would love more info will email you
    Margie

No leave it, it maybe ready to hang into its j. When pillers move off the plant and just sit, its best not to move them if possible. How exciting for you!

if you send me your email, i can send you some more info. ange_nz@yahoo.com
    Angie

margie
    Participant

Sorry Angie I don’t know what the eggs look like but there are quite a few pillars ranging from wee wee ones to the ones in the photo. The biggy in the photo has climbed to the lid of a box I have around the plant and is just sitting there is it okay there or should I put it back on the plant.
    Margie

Hi Margie, did you have any eggs when you were looking for your catapillers.
    Angie

margie
    Participant

Thank you Jacqui and Angie I can relax then. Also Angie thanks for the link I will do that next time I post photos. And yes they are very safe and warm I will put them in a room with less light and see if that suits them better
    Margie

Margie, great pics!

https://www.monarch.org.nz/2008/04/16/nettle-pillars/ if you add the link, it makes it easier for people to see what images you want them to see.

The pillers will when they are ready make little tents, if they dont that ok.

I have two at the moment that are eating and not making tents either, They are in a box to stop the pests, which also reduces light, maybe its something to do with light or they know they are safe.

Angie

Jacqui

They should be fine Margie. They don’t always wrap themselves up…

Jacqui

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.