All wings bent over to the right.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

A beautiful sunny day in GISBORNE, and I have just released another 3 butterflies. Sadly one has all wings bent over to the right. Have sat him on the top of the castle to get the warmth of the sun, in hopes he may be able to straighten them up.( also tagged him, incase he is able to fly away. Put some purple daisies there for him to get nectar from if he wishes.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kiwilass
    Participant

I have ants throughout my garden Rob and have found that they certainly eat eggs, small cats, soft chrysalis, and even a newly emerged butterfly I had put on some salvia.
    I found the best way to manage them was to pick the small branches with eggs on, put them in a vase and put the vase in a moat (big pot plant saucer filled with water). As soon as the cats get to about 1cm I put them in my netted area on plants and they do well. Am absolutely thrilled to have tagged almost 50 and have another 50 chrysalises and still a lot of cats of various sizes.

Caryl

Blake,so good to know that you do this to disabled butterflies. You have so much compassion. I wonder if any of these butterflies mate? Did you know there was a winter over site near the Police College. I visited it 2 years ago in the winter and there were hundreds there on gum trees. A neighbour said butterflies had been visiting the same trees for more than 46 years. This past season I visited on 3 separate occasions and I witnessed none. Alarming. Caryl (Seatoun)

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

We all have tough times huh

I keep my butterflies that have non flying wings in a dark walled frog terrarium. Sometimes I have to force feed them by unrolling their tongues into honey water until they learn to do it. They actually do learn and become almost tame going to the honeywater spoon. some have lived 9 weeks happily.

If anyone is interested in keeping captive butterflies I wrote a bit in another forum thread where a member attempted a great ‘surgery’ on a butterfly with deformed wings. the thread title is Spare wings in Wellington. tag words: feed, eat, deformed, malformed, euth, honey

to the original poster and others – may i ask how you euth? I freeze.

and WOW to the member whom had hundreds of butterflies!! Butterfly farming to the maximum!

Anonymous
    Participant

The place I’m in now, I’ve been here since November and there are lots of ants all over the neighbour hood, the ants like to go for the nectar from the Swan plant flowers and they take baby caterpillars probably before they get the toxically in them. One advantage is that they clean up the caterpillars that have died and they will also go for sick ones. The last place I was in had no ants.

rob cooper
    Participant

thanks all yea a bugger when things go wrong had a fab season thought i might get 80 away but over 190 now but yea a big bad virus lost over 50 pillers but back on track might get another 30 away

GaynorTait
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Matt. It certainly is the survival of the fittest in our insect world. Are you plagued with ants too ? we have hundreds in all gardens, and in the canary aviary too. As Caryl said to me in one of posts, “we who love butterflies. go through highs and lows, happiness and sadness.”

Anonymous
    Participant

I had one that emerged from the chrysalis overnight that was lying on the ground in the garden bed, when I say the butterfly the wings dried all bent to one side. I left him on the blueberry Bush overnight and the next morning I saw him down on the base of the plant. I picked him up by the wings but that was all there was, I think the ants had the rest of him. I suppose it’s better that way since he wouldn’t off been able to fly like a butterfly is suppose to.

Caryl

Rob there’s plenty of info on the NZ soldier bug on line. Here’s one site link for you.
    https://nzacfactsheets.landcareresearch.co.nz/factsheet/InterestingInsects/Schellenberg%27s-soldier-bug—Oechalia-schellenbergii.html

LeslieD
    Participant

https://nzacfactsheets.landcareresearch.co.nz/factsheet/InterestingInsects/Schellenberg%27s-soldier-bug—Oechalia-schellenbergii.html

vile things suck the insides out of caterpillars.

my cripple butterfly was too weak to consider keeping Rob, it had problems even clinging onto a surface. I had to even help it emerge. I’ve kept similar in the past but it was a short and sad existence for them.

I’ve had another successful hatching yesterday but yet another looks like it may be a no show. Just the time of year I think.

rob cooper
    Participant

tell me more please our outside plant is losing all pillers have bought all pillers we have inside now they all good doing well im solder bugs info would e great

rob cooper
    Participant

keep it as a pet if you can they so cool

LeslieD
    Participant

wow Caryl 700 is commercial proportions lol. I feel pretty chuffed to have reached round 125 good butterflys and I’ve had very few total fails like today… might make 150 but as you say its the time of year when the odds drop off. I think I’m losing lots of littlies to bugs too. I’m not even bothering to cull eggs because I’m pretty sure the feed I have will be enough for the survivors. I hate those soldier beetles .. I dealt to one the other day even though it was no where near the plants.

Caryl

Hi Leslie, same here. Sadly at this time this happens every season. Most of the current chrysalides outside are damaged and even those I bring inside which appear fine deteriorate too. I’ve had more than 700 successes this season which is pretty good.
    Soldier bugs continue to be a problem for me and they are in and outside the seed pods. Have only found 3 but they have killed many young caterpillars. Caryl

LeslieD
    Participant

I sympathise .. I have a cripple emerged this morning … its weak and it has not managed to inflate its wings fully. Its very windy today so no point putting it out on a flower for some sun. So its in the dining room in a patch of sun for now. But I think it would be kinder to euthanize it today. I find the strong ones that can’t fly never give up trying and the weak ones don’t last long anyway. But I did see an old butterfly busy laying eggs yesterday and how she could fly amazed me … her wings were so battered.

GaynorTait
    Participant

Maurice my husband found our butterfly with bent wings,Fluttering across the back lawn this morning. He put it near flowers again. If it is still not able to do more tomorrow, sadly it may be kinder to euthanase it.

rob cooper
    Participant

intersesting

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Caryl. Before we went out to do a couple of things in “town” we moved the butterfly onto Purple Michaelmas daisy. Watched it getting Nectar, which was great. On returning home, it was nowhere in sight. Both my husband and I have looked everywhere, but with no result. Even looked in and around the violets, the daisy and all around the path and area. Just hope he has been able to do a short “Fly ” and that he is ok. An old 91year old man told us a few weeks ago, that he found a soldier beetle in a caterpillar.

Caryl

Those of us who love butterflies experience both joy and heartbreak. It seems unlikely your butterfly will ever fly, sadly. I am in Wellington and for the past 2 months I have experienced dead and dying caterpillars and diseased chrysalides, all really a mystery. I have found though that baby cockroaches and soldier bugs are hiding within some seed pods. I know that soldier bugs kill the cats by piercing them and those will be found hanging almost in 2 and the bug’s eggs inside. Gaynor thanks for all you do. Your compassion shines through this message. Caryl

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.