Anybody got any free swan plants or moth plant in Central Whangarei

• Creator
    Topic

delainejones
    Participant

HI has anyone in Central Whangarei got any spare swan plants that are established, as I have 2 hungry manarch butterflies needing a new home asap. Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

delainejones
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, good to note.. all the best,
    Delaine

delainejones
    Participant

Thanks Elizabeth, I’ll take a look at those suggestions, all the best,
    Delaine

Jacqui

Also there are lots of plants growing wild out at Mangnese Point way – or there were.

Elizabeth
    Participant

I recently had the same problem when mine and all my friends’ swanplants were stripped too. So I had to take my last batches of Monarch caterpillars into Whangarei and deposit them in a couple of spots on some still-leafy plants there.

The places I left them were: some tall plants at the bottom of Whareora Rd (off Mill Rd) on the R before you get to Reeds Bush. The plants are on the side of the footpath next to the bottom fenceline of a property. The other place friends told me about and is a row of nice bushy swan plants next to a fence in the carpark area of a block of flats in Deveron St. You can see them easily from the road if you drive slowly. On the L of Deveron St if you go from Bank St (just past the Anglican Church). Those plants were loaded with ladybirds and their larvae which was great to see.

My only qualms about leaving the caterpillars was in case they didn’t survive predators – but I had no choice, sadly. At least they had some food, and so you might like to try these two spots too – or take some foliage from the plants to continue raising them at home yourself, as you only have two to feed.

Good luck!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.