Anyone need swan plants in Bay of Plenty area – Te Puke

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

ClaireBehr
    Participant

I have two LARGE swan plants covered in seed pods, and also covered in Wasps which is why i have such a big plant and no babies. It’s really sad cos the eggs/wee babies just keep getting eaten when the butterflies lay them. So, unfortunately the platns have got too big to keep. If you want them, please phone or text me on 0272101482 and you can come and pick them up. I will grow some more for next summer in case the butterflies come back!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Nicky

You can’t sex a caterpillar (without killing the caterpillar, that is). However, you can tell the difference when they are in the chrysalis and also as adults. If you go to the main website, and search on “sex” I think the appropriate photograph will show up.

Jacqui

i just baught some 2day and ones nealy a butterfly and how do u tell weather the caterpiller is a boy or girl?

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Claire, VERY sorry to hear of your ordeal. This is really annoying and discouraging isnt it. Right now Im really keeping my eye out in case the same happens to me. The last pillars I had was way back 2 or 3 months into last year. Ive only just now got my 1st babies, though the hold up is not becasue of wasps. Unfortunately what has held good in the past is not necessarily so in the future. Ive never had much of a wasp problem that I know of, in the past. Unfortunately that looks set to change. It may very well be that a lot of us are going to have to use wasp nets to keep the blighters off. I know thats frustrating.

Just thinking, with Jacqui mentioning about the seeds and stuff, would it be a practical idea if you were to pin/tie the plant back a bit from the footpath?

Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Claire,

Please dont give up. DO you have an old net curtain you can throw over your plants, or perhaps buy a cheap mozzi net from Briscoes. This way you can protect what you have.
    I am in Auckland West and have a huge problem with wasps. So please perservere with it and keep going.

Cheers
    Charlotte

ClaireBehr
    Participant

I’ve read all about the wasps, but i’m just not having ANY babies hatching and my partner is getting annoyed with the fact we have to walk on the grass as the plant is growing over our path! I’ve had NO babies the whole season even tho we have up to a dozen butterflies laying per day. I am ready to give up with these plants and start again in a different location!

Jacqui

Hi Claire

The wasps will stop consuming your caterpillars very soon, so I urge you to keep your plants. The caterpillars will need that food. See the Wasps info under PESTS on the main website.

And Claire, if you can catch any of the seed from the well-developed seed pods, the MBNZT can use these for fundraising, so please treat these as a very valuable resource.

I will ask Mary Parkinson in Tauranga to give you a ring and sort out a mutually beneficial agreement.

Thanks for posting.

Jacqui

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.