Anyone wanting ‘Pillars in the CHCH area?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Sidhe
    Participant

I have a few more ‘Pillars than I think my Plants can handle, so I’m hoping that some of you lovely people might be needing some…anyone have any Swan Plants needing inhabitants? Just e-mail me at jess.seil@xtra.co.nz and we can organize a pick-up time :)

Hope you’re all having a great day!

-Sidhe-

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Never too late – unless the plant is dead. Give it a go…

Jacqui

cashmere
    Participant

thanks Jacqui. is it too late once the leaves have been stripped off? I went out and bought a dozen new plants today and transferred as many as i could to the new plants but yours is a good idea..we have to encourage the females to find less crowded plants and the best way is to cover the ones that are full.am sure i’ll find some netting,except its just occurred to me..i dare not cover those that have ‘pillars (which is most) cos once they pupate then hatch they won’t be able to get out..
    glenn

Jacqui

Hi Cashmere – I suggest watering and fertilising your bare plants well, and cover them with a net (like mosquito nets – will be going cheap at camping shops – The Warehouse?) now as summer sales take place.

And hopefully the fertile females will find other plants – although they may lay a few eggs on your net. I find moving the plants to a shadier area (if they’re in pots) works a treat. Mrs Monarch can’t find them.

J.

cashmere
    Participant

thanks have sent an email my plants are all bare now..will the ‘flies find other plants
    as i don’t know how far they range..spose i should read a bit but busy with work..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Cashmere,

I can find a home for about 10 caterpillars in Chch.

Email me on robert.aw@ihug.co.nz & I’ll put in touch with the spare Swannies.

Robert.

Sidhe
    Participant

Just letting everyone know I’ve found homes for a few of my ‘Pillars, and the rest will be A-OK food-wise from now on. Thanks for the help guys :).

cashmere
    Participant

mmmmaybe its our hot weather but now my 8 swan plants have become overcrowded too. i have enjoyed watching my monarchs cruising around my garden,chasing each other for favours,resting on a sweet smelling yellow type fir tree and laying eggs. i don’t think i have much room left for more plants but i will make room if i can get some or anyone is welcome to some of my pillars..success breeds success i guess…am in Cashmere

Sidhe
    Participant

Thank you Jacqui and Vicky 🙂

VickySteele
    Participant

I will try and contact a couple of people I know who may want caterpillars. Yvonne is one of them, although I think she has enough to handle with Aidan’s ones. For a good, cheap source of plants you can try member Heather on 327 110 – she is at Kaiapoi, has loads of plants, some good ones from only $1.

Jacqui

Hello Sidhe

There are already posts on here from people who have not enough plants/too many caterpillars. And then today, someone has reported that they have bought plants off The Warehouse and these appear to be sprayed – so their caterpillars have died…

I don’t know what to suggest. I hope someone can help you. I see that someone else (Aidan) found someone (Yvonne) to take his surplus off him…. Look for Yvonne, LOL!

Another thought – if you know of Araujia sericifera growing, you could put your surplus caterpillars onto that weed.

http://www.ecan.govt.nz/Our+Environment/Pest+Plants+and+Animals/Potential+Pest+List/Moth-plant.htm?PrintVersion=true

Do NOT grow this weed, that is against the law. But I don’t think it’s illegal to take bits home and feed it to your caterpillars – that would be termed “disposing” of it – or taking your caterpillars to the plant and leaving them to eat the plant.

I used it very successfully earlier this season. Also, tweedia is another plant they will eat, and if you go to our website and search on “pumpkin” you will find that some people can “finish” caterpillars off on pumpkin – raw pumpkin. But only in the last instar (stage), when the caterpillars are abou 3-4 cm long.

Good luck!

Jacqui

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.