Botanica – the buzz on bees, butterflies, bugs and botanicals

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

VickySteele
    Participant

If you’re in Canterbury, or visiting between 6th February and 5th March, come to Science Alive! on Moorhouse Avenue.

The MBNZT is involved with the Botanica expo and Science Alive have built a butterfly house for us. The Trust has been responsible for supplying all the hostplants, nectar plants, caterpillars, chrysalises and butterflies. The expo runs for 3 months, but the butterfly house will only be there for 4 weeks. It is open between 10:30am and 4:30pm 7 days a week.

In the butterfly house we will have Monarchs, of course, but we are also showcasing Yellow and Red (hopefully) Admirals. This has been one of the reasons for my need for extra nettles!

The area isn’t huge, approx. 6.5m x 4.5m and you can walk through it.

This is a wonderful opportunity to reach a lot of people, especially with awareness of Admiral butterflies and the need for stinging nettle.

There will be plenty of other exhibits to see, including a beehive, talking flowers and a big focus on pollinators.

Come on down and have a look. It will be worth it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gilly
    Participant

Fabulous photos of the display Vicky… lovely and colourful. Love the wee owl too 🙂 Well done!

VickySteele
    Participant

If you can’t get to see it, here are some pics of the butterfly house:

http://fraame.com/butterflyhouse/

Poppy
    Participant

Ooo excellent- I shall try and make it down. I will tale my video camera as well and try and get some footage.

Jacqui

Hello out there to Cantabrians

Have any of you been to the display yet? Those of us who can’t get there would love to hear how it’s going.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds fantastic.
    I have passed the info on to my Christchurch family.
    Best
    Trisha

Jacqui

Oh Vicky, I wish I could get down there to see it – it sounds fantastic. Hopefully, someone will take a video and put it on Youtube for us…

Best wishes.

Gilly
    Participant

I will be there in spirit Vicky 🙂 Take LOTS of pics please! And hope it all goes smoothly and wonderfully!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.