Buddleia from cuttings.

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

I have tried several methods of propagating Buddleia in the last few weeks just to see what works.

Cuttings in just water.

Cuttings in sharp sand.

Cuttings in willow water.(Willow leaves soaked in water)

All have been successful. The quickest method was cuttings in willow water. The salicylic acid has helped to form roots more quickly. 14 days.

Next was the cuttings in sharp sand. 20 days.

Lastly the cuttings in just tap water, are showing first signs of root initiation today. 28 days.

The message here though is, that ALL METHODS WORKED, and whatever method you choose – they are all pretty easy – so HAVE A GO!!!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Anna,

Sadly no. But we do WANT it!! LOL
    So if you see or hear about the Bicolor Buddleia let us know please.

Clinton I don’t know where you get your information but the Black Knight is available in NZ. Just not from nurseries.

Cheers
    Char

clinton9
    Participant

Hi Anna Barnett,
    There are 42 buddleia species in world, and these domesticated buddleia davidii had cultivar names:

“Sungold” yellow flowers **
    “Black Knight” Darker purple flowers **
    “Royal Red” Reddish pink flowers ##
    “Pink Delight” pastal pink flowers ##
    White flowered cultivar ##

Available in NZ ##
    Not available in NZ **

Wild buddleia davidii are becoming endangered in NZ, due to too overzealous MAF. Please do not destroy the wild buddleia davidii as the few clever members of MBTNZ need b. davidii to do hybridizing the buddleia species.

Hamilton Gardens had few buddleia species, I had seen them in 1990s.

Cheers

Clinton.

Anna
    Participant

surely Clinton it must be easier than that.

Anna
    Participant

Char, that is the one I was talking about. Do you have it?

Charlotte
    Participant

I think it would be great if NZ could obtain the patio Buddleias here;-)

They do look very similar to what we have here in the large variety.
    As when you look at the Buddleias and the colours (and this is where it gets confusing) magenta, lavender and ivory they are the same as our Royal Red, mauve and white because this is what the colour looks like on our (Char’s) computer monitor.
    We also have the large Royal red, mauve and White in our gardens;-)

Other monitors the colour could look different.

Cheers
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Clair,

I would trust Vicky’s knowledge as well my dear. She is a very knowledgeable lady our Vicky;-)

Now this is going to be the tricky part as different cameras and computer monitors can make the buds look the same or very different.

I can email you our pics and we can take it from there if you like? My email is beesknees@xtra.co.nz or the other way is to send buds to each other;-)LOL. I cant think of any other way at the moment.

Our lochinch is not in flower at present;-(

Cheers
    Char

clinton9
    Participant

Hshingles,
    I don’t think MAF approve these dwarf & domesticed cultivars of butterfly bushes you wants.

MAF are too overzealous and to import the domesticed & dwarf cultivars of buddleias, you need to save total $ 50,000.

To import the buddleia, you need $ 37,000 applications

Plus you have to pay for phytossanitary certifications, inert / synthetic material and $ 110 fees, plus you have to pay $ 1,000 for quarantining these plants in quarantining place.

Easy way to grow these plants is to import the seeds of buddleias, but they may be been banned from entering the New Zealand.

People that shipping buddlieas overseas, might not be ship the plants to NZ.

I suggest you talk with MAF.

Cheers

Clinton.

hshingles
    Participant

Bernie, they look good. I hope they arrive here,new plants can take several years to be approved by MAF

Bernie
    Participant

For those that want to see the size of the small buddelias,visit
    http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=buddelia+buzz.
    I am looking forward to trying them in my butterfly house now that Summer is on it’s way here in GB.

Clair
    Participant

Hi David, will email you.

Char, I sourced my pink and blue from Vicky in Christchurch, and my yellow from Tauranga. I can’t remember the name of the yellow, but am sure of the names for the Christchurch ones – Vicky was very specific, and I trust her knowledge completely.

Now how do we decide if our budds are different….? I can take pics of my blue and yellow – when it stops raining! Any other suggestions?

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Anna,

Do you mean this Buddleia the Bicolor one?

http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?ProductID=5102

Cheers
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Clair,

Sounds like you may have a few different ones to us here in Auckland Clair;-)

We have Pink delight and Lochinch blue, Salvifolia and Weyeriana yellow and Weyeriana Golden glow.

If your Buddleias are different I would be very happy to do a swap and send some of ours to you.

Cheers
    Char

David
    Participant

Hi Clair, I’d be very keen to get some buddleia cuttings – we had our first two plants flowering this summer and have decided we have space for six more plants. Only catch is I live in Melbourne and our butterfly garden is in the Marlborough Sounds. A daughter lives in Wellington and she would be able to look after any cuttings for me or better still my mother lives in Masterton -do you go that far in the Wairarapa? I will next be in NZ in Spring and woukld plant out the buddelia then. We will have purple flowered buddleia to swap – plants bought from Blenheim nursery but I’d need to check their labels to be sure of variety name. I’d be happy to email or telephone you – my email is jomo001@bigpond.com – may help communication on the finer points of pick up. David

Clair
    Participant

Clinton, any willow tree will do.
    Cut off branches no more than half an inch in diameter. Strip off the leaves, and cut them up into pieces 1 – 2 inches long. Put them in the biggest pot you have, and add enough water to completely cover them. Bring the water to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour. Turn off the heat and let the pot sit overnight. Then strain through a colander and discard all twigs (good compost). Bottle the liquid in airtight containers – I use old screw top wine bottles.

Also use it instead of plain water when you put new plants in your garden. It helps the roots establish quickly and strongly.

Thanks for the welcome, Jacqui 🙂

I’m about to give my buddleias a much needed hair cut. If any Wellingtonians want cuttings from Pink Cloud, Lochia Blue, Salfifolia, or a yellow, let me know. The pink flowered early in spring, the blue and yellow not till the beginning of summer but are still flowering madly, and bringing in the monarchs and admirals to my garden.

Anybody got other colours to swap maybe? I also travel to the Wairarapa quite often, so offer open to those people too.

clinton9
    Participant

Clair,
    How long the willow twigs to be boiled for ???

How many willow twigs to be boiled & bottled ???

Is Weeping Willow tree ** suitable for this ???

** Weeping Willow tree-a riverside tree of cool temperate Eurasia. Had hanging branches & twigs. Farm I working had one tree.

Cheers

Clinton.

Jacqui

Hi Anna – don’t think there is one. We’ve been trying to build up a collection and I’ve done heaps of detective work on something like that. I did find that there was a man in the Hawkes Bay who was “The Keeper of the Buddleia Collection” but he has since stopped. He has been useful, though, for seeking names of some of the plants.

Jacqui

Anna
    Participant

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of all buddleias available in NZ?

Jacqui

Welcome back, Clair. Glad to see you here again.

Jacqui

Clair
    Participant

Clinton, willow water does work, but I don’t think you are going about making it the right way. You need to boil up fresh willow twigs (no leaves) and strain it, bottle it, and then use it. And make sure you only put the stems of what you want to grow in that.

If you google “willow water” you will get heaps of recipes to make it.

Charlotte
    Participant

No sadly we don’t. We thought we did but it turned out to be the one we call Golden glow.

If you do find someone selling the rainbow or tricolour one let me know as we would love this one.
    I know you can buy seeds on Ebay but not for here I’m afraid;-((

Cheers
    Char

Anna
    Participant

Char, do you have the rainbow one? If so does it grow very tall?

Charlotte
    Participant

We have the Lochinch as well Anna. Such a lovely plant and the flowers are just gorgeous.

The Lindleyana is another gorgeous weeping Buddleia that has dainty flowers. Our Nanho purple and Nanho blue are gorgeous as well.
    But my all time favorites are the Royal Red and Pink Delight they are both exquisite.

I cant wait to see our Spring promise flower this year and our winter Buddleias;-))

The Lantana’s have really taken off now and growing bigger all the time. We did see a huge red Lantana down at Miranda last weekend.

Cheers
    Char

Bernie
    Participant

They are advertised as purple,magenta and ivory but I think mine are all purple.I will get an ivory one this year as like all buddleia plants they have proved very easy to take cuttings from

clinton9
    Participant

Today I found my buddleia cuttings in two pails, full of cold water & willow, they were dead, so I threw them out.

I don’t think willow work in get plants to form the roots.

Clinton.

Jacqui

Bernie – what colour are the Buzz flowers?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.