Butterfly battles

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

Jill Quigley
    Participant

Hi Jacqui etal

I’m thinking about growing Admirals, but I’m a completely obsessed Monarch raiser. Is there a potential problem trying to raise them both on the same property? Do they have any inter-species squabbling tendancies?

I know I’d need nettles for the Admirals – do you supply these or can you advise me where best to find some in Auckland?

Many thanks
    Jill

Oh, and Jacqui… I was so impressed by (and jealous of) the caterpillar/chrysalis earrings that you had on last time I saw you that I found a maker in Arizona and now have some for myself!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Jill

I suggest that you get some eggs from us and raise them. Great fun!

Admiral eggs

Jill Quigley
    Participant

Yes, that’s them!

I emailed Amber to ask if/when she would be making/selling them again and she made me some as I wanted them. I think she’d be happy to take personal orders now, even while she hasn’t got her website updated.

I couldn’t decide so got 2 pair: chrysalises ready to hatch, and a mixed caterpillar/green chrysalis pair.

Meanwhile… back to Admirals… if I get the nettle, and I’ve got the flowers, what else do I need to do to attract them? Or should I try and buy some caterpillars?

Cheers
    Jill

Jacqui

Looks like Amber is not selling them at present – but I did find this image of them here:

http://caterpillarart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/CIMG1266.jpg

Jill Quigley
    Participant

Re the earrings – I’d love to attach a photo of the ones I had made, but don’t know how to do it here… can anyone help with that?

I got mine made by Amber at Caterpillar Arts:
    http://www.caterpillarart.com
    caterpillar_arts@yahoo.com

If you contact Amber please let her know I recommended her – it’s always nice to know if you’re getting good results from your work. (And no, I’m not earning commission!)

Cheers
    Jill Quigley

Anna
    Participant

Like Norm, I find they seem to get on okay. Its funny at times though when you see a Yellow Admiral chasing a Red admiral, that is in hot pursuit of a monarch! If you have plenty of nectar producing flowers in the garden though, there should be enough for them all to get along.
    Good on you thinking about raising Admirals. I have managed to get a colony of them established on our farm, so its been really worth the effort.

NormTwigge
    Participant

No problem mixing admirals with monarchs, occasionally one will give chase to the other, but this is just one checking out whether the other is a suitable mate or not. But I have not seen any “squabbling”
    Remember they co-exist well in nature.

Jacqui

Jill glad you got some! That’s awesome. 🙂

Caryl, mine were made (and are available) in this shop here. I had a friend visit from Canada and she had bought a pair of each set – and left me with one of each. I wear them for special occasions.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88877426/one-of-each-caterpillar-chrysalis

I don’t think Norm has any problems raising both Monarchs and Admirals. Stinging nettles are available from Oratia Native Plants and City Parks in Grafton, nursery@cityparks.co.nz. My recommendation is U. australis.

Caryl
    Participant

Jill, Can we see an image of these earrings please?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.