Butterfly gardening for beginners

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Matt
    Participant

Hi all,

I'm a recent member to the organisation and it has been really enjoyable and so informative reading of the knowledge and commitment/addiction of members to monarchs etc.

While I envy those with large butterfly houses or dozens of plants, I thought I might offer – to those other relative newbies who have small gardens – what has been working well for me in my monarch farming here on the North Shore since last season. I only have 5 plants. One is in the middle of a small flower garden containing wallflower, gazania, alyssum, roses, marigolds, sweet peas. This gets full sun all day. Monarchs regularly visit this one plant leaving it with a very bad case of egg 'dandruff'! The other four plants are in two groups of two in a sheltered area of a side garden, which again gets full sun. When pillars hatch on the solo plant, after a couple of days I lift them with the blunt blade of a pocket knife (that is only used for pillars). They easily roll onto the blade. I then transfer them to the other plants and roll them off onto the tops of the plant. No casualties thus far.

The plants are covered with frost-cloth which has been cut to size. (This can be bought from the Warehouse, 2m x 5m. Good to give it a rinse first just in case there is anything toxic on it – I haven't had any problems yet.) I have driven a variety of tall wooden stakes well into the ground leaving plenty of space around the foliage and then wrap the cloth around them. I have also buried it slightly under the soil at the bottom so the pillars don't go walk about and nothing can get in. I then secure the cloth to the stakes with clothes pegs. It takes a bit of rolling and ravelling at the top to make sure there are no gaps for predators.

I have 11 chrysalis hanging from two plants at present and on the other two, which I started putting pillars on later, I have 2 Js and another 4 fatties plus numerous littlies (and have given a number of small pillars away to others whose plants haven't been visited). Because my plants are a bit older I have a good amount of feed…at the moment (he laughed nervously). If you work the plants in rotation you can have a small yet satisfying operation.

On another subject, I see the Yates Garden Guide 2009 does not have milkweed etc or mention of monarchs in it. Only buddleia, this despite a section on 'Gardening for kids'. Surely nothing is better for introducing kids to gardening, conservation etc than swan plants!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Claire Bear
    Participant

HI there – this is a great thread: thank you!

I have developed a similar system by trial and error. Recently a few branches leaned too close to the netting and within minutes a nasty wasp was there getting at the poor chubby caterpilliars and even one J just as it turned into a Chrysalis. Those wasps are absolutely evil little killing machines. Yuk.

Anyway, thank you for the tips 🙂

Matt
    Participant

Of course that's okay, Jacqui!

Jacqui

Some great tips there, Matt. Thanks for contributing. I'm going to change the heading from "From one newbie to others" to "butterfly gardening for beginners" – hope that's okay?

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.