Call me crazy…!

• Creator
    Topic

Kathleen24
    Participant

My partner sure thinks I’m crazy! Yes, I’ve become quite fascinated (some might say obsessed) by Monarch butterflies and caterpillars since moving to the Kapiti Coast a year ago.

Last summer, I raised about 30 or 35 butterflies, fraught at times with dwindling food supplies and runaway caterpillars (and the ones that didn’t make it for whatever reason). So this season, I was prepared: I had 8 surviving and thriving swan plants from last season, plus 1 that just survived, 2 new plants from Mitre 10, and a bunch of seedlings (thanks to a kind MBNZT member who gave me seeds). I thought maybe I could raise 100 or so butterflies over this summer.

So… when I looked at my swan plants on Tues, and thought, “Gee, there’s quite a few caterpillars here”, I was not prepared for the headcount – there were (roughly) 151! The very next day, there seemed to be a major growth spurt (at the expense of my now precious swan plants) – heaps of fat caterpillars, chomping everything in sight. Today, I carefully picked off all the fat ones and brought them inside, and attached cut leaves and sliced pumpkin to a frame I’ve made.

I now have 61 fat, well-fed caterpillars in my office, some of them already attached somewhere, ready to make their J. Yup, 61. And to think I haven’t seen that many butterflies….

It’s going to be quite interesting in my office in a couple of weeks’ time!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kathleen24
    Participant

Thanks for encouraging me in my craziness! I am also now feeling surrounded. Probably because I keep bringing in more fat caterpillars each day.

I now have about 40 chrysalises, a dozen Js, and another 30 wanderers. I’ve also had to rescue the chrysalises that were already on the plants – from back when they were lush and green, only a couple of weeks ago! – as the hungry hordes ate the leaves the chrysalises were on, leaving only the thinnest stalk (the vein of the leaf), or in fact chopped the chrysalis right off!

I had to laugh at my silly caterpillars last week. I kept finding one or two of them lying on the ground still chomping on a half-eaten leaf that they, or one of the others, had chopped off the plant in their enthusiasm! Luckily, they seemed to have survived the fall…

Caryl

Good for you Kathleen! We need more crazy ones like you and me. As I type this I am surrounded by about 45 chrysalis, 3 hatched so far. I haven’t counted my caterpillars outside, afraid to. I have bought more than 100 plants this season, maybe more and I have 60+ completely eaten that are sprouting again. I take cuttings off the longer stems and that seems to work too. I am in Wellington, Seatoun.

Jacqui

Great to hear, Kathleen! Hope that you’ll keep us updated with your 61 and more.

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.