Can Monarch caterpillars hear?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

http://www.youtube.com/user/floridabutterflyfarm#play/all/uploads-all/1/aFsHycg1QOQ

In Peter Laufer’s book, The Dangerous World of Butterflies, he writes of Edith Smith ‘boop-booping’ Monarch caterpillars. Listen to/watch this video clip, and see the caterpillars react. A sudden sound after a quiet spell will cause this reaction in Monarch caterpillars. It is not unusual for a caterpillar to actually fall off the leaf.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, tried all sorts of levels and pitches. I think they are even more sensitive than we give them credit for…

Ever sat and waited for a caterpillar to turn into a chrysalis?

You can wait for hours knowing it’s JUST going to happen, and you wait and wait and wait, then finally you just HAVE to go to the toilet, or you think ‘I might as well have a cup of tea’, or it starts to rain and you think ‘OH HEAVENS THE WASHING!!!’… and when you come back, it’s no longer a caterpillar?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Vibation too.

I think you have to get that “boop boop” at the right pitch! It’s a bit like Mars attacks where the aliens heads explode. Hope that doesn’t happen to anyone trying to “boop boop” on their caterpillars.

Gilly
    Participant

I’ve always found they respond more in the heat?

Jacqui

Funnily enough, I tried replicating that sound today, and my cateprillars didn’t bat an eyelid. (I know, they haven’t got any eyelids!).

…didn’t respond at all.

Charlotte
    Participant

I agree Rob. I wouldn’t like it if someone was in my face going boop boop. I would get mad.LOL

Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not surprised, that sound is annoying!

I’ve often seen them all freeze & play dead when I get close. Same for wasps.

Jane
    Participant

Well that was just amazing…..makes me wonder if ‘Bee Bop a Lula she’s my baby’ would have them rockin out of their trees!!! lol 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.