Caterpillars available in Christchurch

• Creator
    Topic

Colleen Woodhall
    Participant

We have several very enthusiastic Monarchs laying eggs but we do not have enough swan plants to feed them all. We have over 30 caterpillars to give away to good homes and it appears that this might be ongoing. Because of the size of most of them it would be best if they were picked up. We live in Wainoni, Christchurch. Please email  woodhalls at paradise dot net dot nz

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Colleen Woodhall
    Participant

We still have caterpillars available for anyone who would like to pick them up.  So far this year we have re-homed over 200 caterpillars and released approx 60 Monarchs.

I have found success in putting cuttings from the top of the swan plants that I want to bush out into potting mix. No rooting hormone, nothing except basic potting mix and plenty of water. I am hoping that with a bit of TLC and protection over the winter months they will flourish and save me a heap of money next year.

See my earlier post for contact details.

Cheers

Colleen

Colleen Woodhall
    Participant

Hi Kerry

Yes I do still have a few smaller caterpillars left.  You can contact me directly through my email in original post to organise suitable time for pick up.

Cheers

Colleen

Kezzamenazza
    Participant

Hi Colleen

I am after a couple for my classroom if you still have any.  I haven’t had any luck with Monarch’s laying eggs over this summer and I always build this into my first few weeks.

Thanks

Kerry

Colleen Woodhall
    Participant

Hi Bruce

I am so pleased that you have good homes for the 40+ caterpillars. I checked the plants again after the caterpillars had been collected and counted at least another 35 including the 15 more mature ones in the castle!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Colleen

Colleen Woodhall
    Participant

Hi Katrina

Unfortunately I am unable to send any caterpillars at this stage as they are too big but I see that Jacqui has offered to mail you some eggs which would be the better option.

Cheers

Colleen

Jacqui

It’s a bit risky to send caterpillars, Katrina – but if you email me I will mail you some eggs.

CHeers

Jacqui

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Hi Collen :), if there was any way to get a few caterpillars to Dunedin I would be so grateful to take them off your hands, I have still several tall lush swan plants with no little caterpillars for them 🙁

Warm regards

Katrina 🙂

BruceSmith
    Participant

hi Colleen, I have lots of plants, I would love some munchers, I have 5 other people asking me for plants. Please call me on 03 3552851. Bruce Smith

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.