Caterpillars in Wellington now its April

• Creator
    Topic

Michele
    Participant

I have rescued two smaller caterpillars off the Swan plant because of the cold… they are going to be really late…they are bigger and still eating… concern is where to release them as its getting colder and wetter. 

Michele

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

alanjacqui
    Participant

Hi,

We still have 12 butterflies to hatch from our swan plants in Pukerua Bay. I released one on ANZAC Day and trust that the others will fly once able to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i am in petone and still having butterflies hatch.  i try to leave them under shelter outside when the weather is awful hoping they will fly when it is safe to but i always worry when the weather is awful and i can see some will hatch.

Michele
    Participant

Hi monarchloverwellington

Im in Island Bay  Cheers

Michele

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Michele,

I am in Wellington too and have had 5 butterflies born today (all tagged & rain all day) and several J formation caterpillars and others outside. I have released 3 of the butterflies outside in a sheltered position so they can fly when they are able to. I guess they will go into diapause until a sunny day. I had butterflies born in May last year! We have to trust these late ones will make it through the winter. I am in Seatoun. Where are you?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.