Caterpillars wanted in Dunedin

• Creator
    Topic

Edith Leigh
    Participant

Our playcentre managed to grow about 40 swan plants from seed but we have no caterpillars.
    We were hoping to sell some of them at a school fair as a fundraiser but obviously they will sell much better with a caterpillar already on them!
    Also the kids just loved watching the chrysallis forming and butterflies hatching in playcentre.
    If anybody can help I can be contacted on 021 214 4075
    Cheers, Edith

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Not to be a naysayer. But I don’t see that caterpillars could make it through at this time of year in Dunedin … I’ve had lot of heartbreak as you try to keep them going indoors but it just gets far too cold for them to even fly most days vey soon. especially since the life cycle takes such a lot longer down here than it does in the north island. Due to our summer I decided not to get any “imports” this year and hence have seen only rare one around here that I’m sure came from local kindy garden centre imports.

Edith Leigh
    Participant

Hi Rachel,

That would be fantastic. The school fair is on Saturday 29 March so not for another two weeks. My cell is 021 2144075 or home 471 0041.
    Any caterpillars you can spare would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers, Edith

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Edith – I have just checked my plants and now have eggs and tiny caterpillars. When was your preschool fair? I will send you a text message with my details.
    Rachel

Edith Leigh
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks, we will let you know to if we get any too.
    It’s been such a terrible summer in Dunedin so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it? Do Monarch’s like sunny weather?
    Anyway good luck,
    Edith

Edith Leigh
    Participant

Great, I will give you a ring tomorrow morning.
    Cheers, Edith

Jacqui

Edith, give me a ring on 027 481 4811 or 09 551 3383 as I may be able to send you some eggs.

Jacqui

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Edith – I am in the same boat as you – I have lots of big healthy plants but only one or two caterpillars – I saw a Monarch flying around the other day so fingers crossed it has laid eggs on my plants – I will let you know if I can help.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.