Common Milkweed

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

milkweed
    Participant

Cant remember if i told everyone this or not but my common milkweed finally flowered last summer for the first time in New Zealand. Ive been nuturing my plants for some 7 seven years and this was a milestone in my observations of this plant. Even more astonishing was that it was growing in a large pot so my theory that it needs open ground to flower is nonsense. I could have sworn that this plant that flowered was Showy milkweed and not Common milkweed as this one in the pot was the Showy milkweed that I planted. The two species are very similar but after examining photos from the U.S. I guessed it was Common. It didnt set pods or seed, I suspect because it needs to be cross pollinated by another separate plants flower (either Common or Showy because these two species will hybridize together).

About a year ago I posted Jacqui or Barbara or Diana (I cant remember now) some Common milkweed rootlets and Im very keen to know if they grew this last summer gone? Or did they die? Once established Common milkweed is very easy to grow but when it is young it is susceptable to diseases and pests. Cheers for this great hobby of ours!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

ps if you get really stuck, try transfering them to wild moth plant you will find its easy to spot at the moment the large vine with the large green pods(they are a pest plant so would not recomend moving the plants, seed, pods etc)

Hi

I dont usually have probs with wet feet for any milkweekd species, but the snails ringbarked my large swan plant and nettle trees last year. One night after some rain we collected 1/2 a bucket of snails!!!

Angie

rgrrbt
    Participant

I have lost four of my largest swan plants, they were ring barked plus the soil was so damp, they don’t like wet feet, I have two more medium plants that I may loose as well. I don’t know what the botanical name of any of my plants but I think I have two varieties of milk weed. I have had several female b/flys and have many eggs on what swan plants are left. Anyone out there able to help with large plants. I have saved lots of seed which I have planted but they won’t be much in the way of food for sometime. My aphids have built up an immunity in my garden I think cause I have probs there too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mary says thank you
    I have seed of Asclepias curassavica comming up and of the yellow flowered one, no syriaca will call at Kings seeds next week at Katikati they are open Friday mornings

milkweed
    Participant

The trade me price is a rip-off at $15 bucks. You are better off buying “Butterflyflower Finest blend” seeds from http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz which has A. curassivica and A. incarnata seeds mixed in together within the same packet for $3-50. A. incarnata is fantastic because it just comes back year after year from the clump it forms. You just need to trim back the dead growth each winter so the new growth in spring isnt hindered.

Jacqui

A. incarnata (Swamp milkweed) is for sale on TradeMe. Try this link here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conservatory/Plants-pots/Other/auction-112448568.htm

Asclepias speciosa Showy Milkweed – http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ASSP
    Common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Milkweed

Hope this is what you are after.

The sap of showy milkweed was used to treat skin ailments, such as warts, ringworms and poison ivy (wonder if this would also work on stinging nettle?)

If you have any spare rootlets I would also love some.
    Angie

Anonymous
    Inactive

HI
    Can someone give us the botanical name for the showy milk weed and the common milk weed. T asume you are not referring to any of the Asclepias is that correct

MaryP

Jacqui

Hi there

It wasn’t me, but I’d love some cuttings of it.

Jacqui

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.