creating butterfly garden at our school

• Creator
    Topic

susantsang
    Participant

We are a small school in Pt. Chevalier, called St.Francis.The children are currently involved in taking responsibility for creating a variety of gardens that will encourage native creatures back into our school environment, one of these is a butterfly garden.So far we have starting clearing an area by one of the fence lines and children are currently researching a variety of plants that will attract and feed butterflies of more than one variety. If anyone has any ideas on how we can make this successful that would be great. Thank you Susan Tsang St. Francis.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Susan

I live in Blockhouse Bay and you’d be very welcome to bring some children to visit my butterfly garden in the school holidays and get some ideas, cuttings and/or seeds etc. It would need to be the school holidays as I work away visiting schools during school terms.

Let me know if this interests you – perhaps some of the parents would be interested in coming as a school holiday outing?

Also I highly recommend the Create Butterfly Habitat course which we run on line – quite a few schools have done this course as a unit for extending their students. We get fantastic feedback, e.g.:

“I have learnt lots on the course, especially the sections on host and nectar plants and pestsI couldn’t belive there are so many introduced predators. We don’t really have many wasps in Chc. Also the Garden Design section was really helpful and I would like to suggest that an the individually garden plan could be an “end of Course” assignment (would need extra time to complete this). I really found the material beautifully presented.”

“Really enjoyed the course. Made me realise how much I actually already know. I am hopeless with all the Latin names of plants, not just these ones, just in general. Then to think I did Latin at school! I would like to see the part about garden planning nearer the end of the course, after we have learned a few things about plants/pests etc. The actual garden plan might change quite about once you are loaded with knowledge.”

“As a former librarian and now a teacher, I can’t speak highly enough about the course – the links all worked, the structure was logical, supporting URLs worked, the layout of the slides was clear, images supported and extended my learning, sources were acknowledged and the cost was very reasonable. A course I will recommend to others!”

Next course begins 10 September.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.