Damaged Wings

• Creator
    Topic

RosiePosie
    Participant

Hi I’m new to the foundation and bought a swan plant late spring only to find a monarch caterpillar on it. I’m fairly green to raising these beauties, don’t know male from female etc… I’m wondering if anyone has advice on repairing butterflies wings that are pretty much 80% gone. I’ve made some nectar to feed it but recently read they can live up to 6 months and I think this one hatched maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Anyone got any tips on how to keep this survivor going to see it’s lifespan out? I don’t have a lot of flowers in my garden coming into winter and it sometimes won’t eat the nectar mixture which I just place inside a little flower. I do hope someone Hamilton based can help me out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bron and Camryn
    Participant

Also, I’ve found butterflies who don’t like the nectar mixtures (like honey/soy) prefer bananas. If you slice it lengthways this makes a nice wet surface for the butterfly to eat from.

Bron and Camryn
    Participant

Hi Rosie,

I have experience looking after several damaged butterflies. If it is still alive I am happy to give you advice. If you like let me know your Hamilton land line or email so I can contact you. Alternatively you can contact me on bronwynannepatterson@icloud.com or 09 4100099. I’ve found that damaged butterflies can still have a happy life if well looked after.

This question seems to be asked fairly often so I might do a proper post on my site about this.

RosiePosie
    Participant

I couldn’t possibly bring myself to kill it. I searched out some wonderful hardy winter blooms for my porch, which will offer it and other monarch’s sustenance until nature takes its course and it eventually dies. If there was a water resistant wing-like material or I had any spare I would try to make prosthetic wings for it. I’m wondering if anyone from this community has done something like that?

Errol
    Participant

Rosie the kindest thing to would be to euthanize it by putting it in a small container and then popping it in your freezer for a few hours.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.