Darker ‘pillars ?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Swansong
    Participant

Hi all, Its just dawned on me that I seem to see more darker pillars at the seasons end, than earlier on. It is probably more noticeable after the last shed skin. In years gone by I’ve always admired their lovely velvety darker than normal thick black rings/stripes. I have an absolutely gorgeous middle sized one right now. They seem to be the same as other pillars in that they grow to more or less the same size. If there is any difference at all, they do tend to be a tad more restless, AND/OR rebellious. : ) yes no kidding!!! I have noticed they are more likely to do the opposite to what you want …. like if you need to shift one its more likely to wriggle right away from where you put it.

Anyway, does anyone else have these darker than normal pillars???

Swansong

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi all

Just send photos to photos@monarch.org.nz. They will be approved (some aren’t, as you can imagine with all the spam about!) and then uploaded. Some people send photos of “their” Monarchs, and if the photos look like some already uploaded, I don’t put them up as we get lots of “Monarchs”. Pests, predators, and other butterflies and lepidoptera or butterfly plants or unusual sights to do with butterflies are always welcome.

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Swansong
    Participant

Good Question, I haven’t done it yet but when I get a spare moment I’ll have a squizz and report back…that is … unless Jacqui or someone doesn’t chime in, in the meantime.

Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

Just a quick ??. How do we upload photo’s onto the site.Thanks

Flutterbys

margie
    Participant

Hi Swansong,
    I planted my seedlings out about Janurary when they were about 6inches high into a garden that faces the north and is sheltered with a high 6ft fence on the left which is southerly, the garage shelters it on the otherside and they are up against the house so they are only exposed to the north. It is a real hot spot. I have had plenty of manure in it the last 2 years and 4years of pea straw so the soil is really rich.
    Can’t tell you how many pillars I have left as some have just hatched so they are to small to find. I have been busy this morning collecting the pillars I can find and putting them on to a plant to bring into the house, as the rest get a big bigger to move I will pick them off and bring them inside as well. It has been an excellent season I have had at least 300 butterflies hatch as I had heaps before tagging started.
    I am going to put some of the new plants inside but the rest will have a frost cloth over them. Hubby is building the butterfly house this winter so hope he has it finished early and I can use that for some. I have grown all my plants in pots this year and it has worked really well they had thrived I just keep feeding them liquid fertilizer every week and water them daily twice daily in the heat of the summer. It allows me to move them where I want. I haven’t got 1 plant that is leaf free this year so am arelly pleased as it was a worry last year when I ran out of food but you know it takes a bad season for you to learn not to go down that track again and make sure you have plenty of plants doesn’t it. I have learnt so much this year from this forum it has been excellent.
    Well must away my husband has been away hunting with friends so have to go and pick him up.
    Cheers Margie

Charlotte
    Participant

Swansong oh I cant wait to see the pics of him.Yes we have it bad..The pillars are our babies now, as our baby girls have grown and left the coup, so to speak..We both work fulltime and have decided to really get into planting swanplants and nectar flowers, etc in our gardens. Cant wait for next year..

Flutterbys.

Swansong
    Participant

Flutterbys what a lovely post!!! it sounds like you & hubby are really enjoying this and all the best for next season!!! Ive raised about 200 or a bit more…lost count.

“sometimes worse than a toddler..heheehehehe..”

: ))))))))) yep!

“naughty pillar climbing up my net curtain..Hubby had to rescue him and tell him off..”

Ha ha now why do I get the feeling you’ve well and truly got the “disease” ??? aren’t pillars so neat the little rascals : )… I get a lot of laughs out of them when they are naughty. Funny eh, animals and things can get away with what humans cant !!!

I have about what you have left, and of course I have my lovely velvety very black pillar, who’s about 1 1/2 inches. I got my hubby to take a few analogue photos (that is…non digital…which will typically mean we have to get it developed….) and as soon as they are ready, I’m gunna upload them to the photo section. He is exceedingly pretty. : )

Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

Yes my pillars are darker than the earlier ones. I have brought all mine inside. I have 22 left to go into J’s and 21 chrysalis to hatch. Some of ours are real fatty’s too. They have been so entertaining to watch for hubby and I, being our 1st time raising pillars.
    I tell you they really keep you on ya feet!! sometimes worse than a toddler..heheehehehe..

A few of the real big ones have just decided to go walkabouts.We have found a few in odd places..Just caught one just now!! naughty pillar climbing up my net curtain..Hubby had to rescue him and tell him off..The wanderer he is for sure..I say he, as we think he is a boy..

We have done really well for our 1st time. We worked it out in total we have 70 pillars into monarchs.This all started from 1 swan plant out the back that we thought was a weed!!.I can thank my granddaughter for this fantastic hobby now, as she was the one who came home with seeds and through them around and 1 plant grew. The guy who mows our lawns does the spraying also, and I said to him you forgot to kill that weed!! Oh my he said, you not wanna kill that its a swanplant!!. So thats where it all started for hubby and I with Monarchs..
    So off to The Warehouse to get 2 more plants, then we were running low and taking from the big plant out the back. So we decided to go Kings plant barn and bought 4 more..Yes as you can see our obsession has grown, as well as getting low on food.

Then we discovered Wings1(Angie) on Trademe selling plants, so we got 4 more off her as well.Now we have decided we need a little hothouse for stock and to plant out a few next season.This has and will be a great hobby for hubby and I.

Flutterbys

Swansong
    Participant

Wow Margie that is really neat. Seedlings a metre high???? Wow!!! All my plants this year (or season) Ive had, have not been over a metre! I only have 1 older one 2 or so years old that is 2 ms but spindly as it put itself in a shady place. Me thinks they never do as well in pots, which I like to keep them in as back-up tucker, for both the end of the season pillars and finishing off the biggies all through. So I neeeeed my potted plants. My plan for next season is to have both. I have this really amazing box which I have in use for other things, but I think I might “pinch it” for the pillars. It is HUUUUGE and is as solid as. Its about 2 feet wide by 2 feet hi by 3 1/2 feet long. T’would be ideal inside to keep my lovlies in on the plants.

Are you going to take your plants inside like a glasshouse or something, or just do I like I’m going to do, chuck a frost cover over a frame? Also how many pillars have you got left… its sounds like you should be really well set up to finish them off.

I have three other plants I want to transplant to my enclosed area and they have a reasonable amount of foliage especially one that has bushed out. I’m STILL waiting for it to rain… …just an aside, never believe the TV weather, which the other day told everybody the Manawatu got rain and it was FALSE! There wasn’t a drop for us or anywhere near that I could see and there was all these big black rain clouds forcast…this has happened many times this summer, and I often wonder what load of bollocks they portray for other regions. Anywayz we’ve been and still are in a draught. As such my plants have not done as well as other years.

Swansong

margie
    Participant

Hi Swansong,
    It sure is a long season I have had heaps of pillars this year I am usually finished by now, just a bit worried about my late ones. There has been heaps of insect life this year as well I think. I have been out buying Flowering hebes for the garden as the butterflies seem to like them down here.I Have got my list of nectar plants ready so will take that to the plant shop next week. The growth has also been very good this year,I still have plenty of feed on my established plants and my seedlings are a metre high already so have a good strart for next season if the winter is kind.
    Cheers Margie

Swansong
    Participant

Hey that would be appreciated margie thanx. Unfortunately they are getting on the go slow mode now, well sporadically at least. I still have some reaaaal WHOPPERS amongst my final 20 or so. They are sooOOOOooo beautiful and I’m getting ready for the inevitable withdrawal symptoms of NO ‘PILLARS : ( ….We seem to be having a mixed bag lately with still some nights deciding they will be warm again and then a couple of of sub tens. Mine have definitely slowed up but Ooooo its been a lovely long season this time eh?

Cheers
    Swansong

margie
    Participant

Hi swansong
    All my pillars are all chrysalisis now, my 3rd lot of hatchings are either just hatched or quite small. I am hopeing they will grow fast as it is getting cold and I want to shift them all on to one of my plants and bring it inside when they have chewed through that I will move another plant inside will take note of their colour as they grow.
    Cheers Margie

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.