DISASTER!!

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Skelvissie
    Participant

Hi There,

I am very new to this, this is my very first post. I only happened to find the site by accident when I went online to find a ‘food’ solution for my caterpillars. Sadly, they anihalated the Swanplants and when I got home this afternoon they were all gone. I managed to find quite a few of them walking all over the driveway obviously hunting for food.

I was absolutely heartbroken, I love them to bits, they’re like my little babies. Those I was able to retrieve including one chrysalis which fell off the plant because the leaf it was hanging from got eaten are now safely tucked in a shoe box punched full of holes.

I have stuck a piece of pumpkin in there and am dearly hoping they take to it as a temporary rescue remedy but so far it doesn’t seem as if they are liking it much. Is there a particular type of pumpkin I should be feeding them?

I haven’t been able to track down anymore swanplants, I will try another plant place tomorrow. I am worried if they don’t take to the pumpkin they will all die, I will be devastated!

I’m still inexperienced at this so I think I allowed too many caterpillars to hatch. How long should I wait to see if they eat the pumpkin or make the awful decision to euthanaise them :-(

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Hoeta
    Participant

I love happy endings, it doesn’t always happen, last year I transplanted 30 or so on friends plants which were bare and lost almost the lot, so good one

Skelvissie
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

My sincerest apologies for not replying sooner, I have not had internet access 🙁

Anyhow, I’m very pleased to say that I have managed to rescue all of my caterpillars barring one small one. They unfortunately never took to the pumpkin as I had hoped but I was able to purchase a large stock of enormous Swan plants from a nursery. I am so happy, my caterpillars are even happier and I’m proud to say I now have 5 chrysalis which I am watching everyday. I can’t wait for them to turn into beautiful butterflies!

Thanks you to everyone who so kindly offered your help and assistance, it is most gratefully appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Natalie

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Natalie

I would be happy to come and help you out and take some caterpillars off your hands to ease the burden.
    As we have loads of food here and no caterpillars or many eggs at all.
    We could come up today (Thursday) after work?
    You can text me on 0211881853 or email me on charlotte@monarch.org.nz

Cheers
    Charlotte

Jacqui

HI Natalie – do you come down to Ak at all?

Can you ring me early tomorrow, 09 551 3383, or email me your phone number please. jacqui@monarch.org.nz.

Cheers

Skelvissie
    Participant

Hi Charlotte,

I am in Auckland living on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula (approx. 30-40 mins north of Auckland City). I have only seen very few Monarch butterflies around but they must be around because I did see some extra eggs appear on the plants I had planted.

Thank you so much, any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Natalie

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Skelvissie,

Where abouts are you?
    This will help us better to help you out with your caterpillars.

Thanks
    Charlotte

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.