Dock plants

• Creator
    Topic

Flutterby48
    Participant

Where do people find their dock plants please? Is it just a case of waiting for them to pop up near your nettles or looking for them in the wider great outdoors?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes it’s the juice of the crushed dock leaves that nullifies the sting. So you pick a leaf and screw it up and then rub it on the sting.

I have often wondered if it would work for other stings, say a wasp or spider bite. Does anyone know?

Weimom
    Participant

Well that is really interesting! Do you ‘squash’ the nettles first before you apply them to where you got zapped?

Dock plants are a curse, I swear their roots go all the way to China! Maybe you could collect leaves & freeze them? If you do get plants, put them in a pot & don’t let them go to seed!

Wendy

Flutterby48
    Participant

Thanks Mothchelle, I’ll have a good scoot around you never know! Weimom – yes for the nettle stings, always worked when as a kid we were out in the country and got stung, Mum always used to know where to find them ☺

Jacqui

Dock works for me. Instant cure!

Jacqui

Weimom
    Participant

Hi Just curious as to why you want dock plants! I have them in my garden & they are a curse, so hard to get rid of. I’m guessing it is because it is supposed to relieve the sting from nettles? I tried that once after being zapped by Urtica Australis & it didn’t work! I just had to put up with a numb/tingling sensation on my hand for 12 or so hours. Gloves & long sleeves are the best defense!

Wendy

Mothchelle
    Participant

Dock seeds are usually spread rampantly by the wind and have a habit of just popping up. I would be surprised if they weren’t already lurking in a quiet corner of your garden. They can be sourced in friends gardens, rough roadside, river edge, disused plots or manure from horse farms. I am sure you will find lots locally, but if you don’t, I can post you some down from here (Palmerston North) – I have far more that I will ever need 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.