Early in Christchurch

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

rosemjuliet
    Participant

Just had to share that I am excited about seeing the first laying of egges on my plants. Usually I have to wait until end of December but saw this happening a few minutes ago. Wonderful. I often read news on the site although I do read about some good ideas I thought I had only to find others have done i before me. I am so prepared this time so should have a good season. I think I may read tagging link soon and have a go at this.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes Mary, they do take both, though shouldn’t be doing so at this time of the year. Check out the handout on wasps on our website – there are references to it somewhere else in the forum too.

This handout only covers social wasps.

And remember that not ALL wasps are bad, there are some good ones too, for instance oen little one, smaller than a mosquito, that controls aphids.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Jacqui Have just read this post do the wasps attack the eggs or cats or both would appreciate any advice on this

Mary

MaryL
    Participant

Hi rosemjuliet I had eggs right at end of Dec and have released 21 monarchs I am also in Christchurch no problems with earwigs Cole Regards Mary

cole
    Participant

Such is my disappointment in this years cultivation I wonder how other Christchurch members are faring… I have resorted to bringing indoors any tiny caterpillars I find and have 6 at the moment on a potted swan plant. I have also noted on the top growth of my many outdoor swans earwigs which I am digitally removing. Do they have any impact on the eggs or caterpillars I wonder.

rosemjuliet
    Participant

Hi
    I was so pleased with my early visitor.
    The eggs laid then are now in a J, however have only seen males since then. They are visiting my Buddleia.
    Fingers crossed that females arrive soon as I have ample food and new plants coming on.
    Thanks for all of the advice I read on here and a merry xmas to all.

Participant

……I agree,also, it would be nice to get the commercial growers/suppliers on board and get the swan plants into the shops earlier……..putting 10cm high swan plants for sale out on the shelf now is not doing anybody any favours……….they just arent going to be big enough to support the butterfly population………..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well said Jacqui.

Jacqui

Nicky – it’s really interesting studying the population dynamics. A few years ago there were zillions of Monarchs here in Russell, now there’s barely one or two. Not much swan plant around town either. I have a few caterpillars which I’ve rescued from around town, but there are no eggs that I can find on any of hte plants. At least it gives the plants more time to get established but some of the “misguided” people around town are seeing them as weeds and pulling them out. They just don’t get it! They want to have ONE plant and LOTS of butterflies. It doesn’t work like that.

Jacqui

Participant

we have some eggs and 6 cats here in timaru………and my plants are netted…………obviously not well enough! After a hideous cold winter, I lost most of my ‘big’ plants so am trying to nurse the little ones through to a decent size before the major wave of laying hits here………

Jacqui

Excellent, we would love to have you in the tagging team. Might be a good idea to protect those eggs from wasps?

Swansong
    Participant

Hi rosemjuliet
    Thats great news that youve got eggs. Hope you have a good season. : )

Cheers
    Swansong

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.