Eggs!

• Creator
    Topic

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Had a look yesterday afternoon and my plants are covered in eggs. Big frost again this morning so they may struggle. The season is starting.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl
    Participant

I”m still looking for enthusiasts who want monarch eggs. I have far too many. Sent 60 today to the South Island by overnight courier (NZ Post is too slow).
    Please contact me if you’d like some. catlovercaryl@gmail.com

Black Robin
    Participant

I have 12 small cats (2nd and 3rd instars) kept safe in my small glasshouse and I large cat that has dissapeared and as yet I cant find it ( think it must have become a chrysalis somewhere in the glasshouse among the other plants). There seem to be a lot of eggs vanishing outside as well and have noticed an increase in the number of wasps. Also I am only rescueing the eggs that I can support inside but have some Milkweeds coning along nicely now so should be able to increase numbers rescued soon

Black Robin

TgaLiz
    Participant

Yes, lots of eggs in Tauranga, but none hatched so far. I’m destroying wasps as fast as I see the occasional one. I’ll bring branches inside if I get hatchlings to protect them. Lovely to see the adults flying on any day when the wind is not too strong.

Jacqui

Could be wasps, Jamanda. There are all sorts of things that find tiny monarch caterpillars delicious. Watch out for predators. If you’re interested in doing a Create Butterfly Habitat course, there’s one starting in a few weeks – and you’ll learn heaps there.

Butterfly Gardening/Habitat Course

jamanda
    Participant

I’ve had a few teeny tiny caterpillars show up, but they keep disappearing.

Nola
    Participant

I too, have many eggs which I first noticed on the 2nd of October. However, my daughter and I have been checking them daily and there hasn’t been one caterpillar yet, the eggs are still just sitting there, all over the plants. I’m in Waiotira, South of Whangarei. We have had lots of strong southerlies and sou’westerly winds but quite a lot of sun too. Not much rain – I have to go out and water the garden tonight.

Jacqui

I have had lots of eggs here in Blockhouse Bay, but I reckon about 70% were not viable. 🙁

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Been really strange, I have seen 2 small caterpillars. I don’t think many of the eggs were viable. Weather has been good and warm and no rain. No wasps around yet.

Caryl
    Participant

How did your eggs laid in August do? Love to know. Cary

MARIE
    Participant

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed you have a lot hatch and you
    soon see a lot of little caterpillers crawling around. I look forward to the next update.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Hi Marie,

Still lots of eggs but no caterpillars yet.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Will do Marie

MARIE
    Participant

If you do end up with too many eggs either now or at a latterdate I would dearly love some. TXt me on 027 5257484 I would be very great full.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I have got 20 plants spread around my work I can rehome catapillars to so not too bad.

Caryl
    Participant

Don’t waste a moment longer to germinate some seeds and I’d even ask your neighbours to help otherwise you’ll be needing to cull the eggs. Good luck.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I was out in the garden yesterday and I had two monarchs flying around laying eggs on all my plants. Not sure I will have any plants left come christmas

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.