Excess swanplants in Taupo ?

• Creator
    Topic

EmerandLuke
    Participant

Hi, have just joined the forum and wondering if anyone here who may be in Taupo and has flourishing swanplants.  We did not cull the eggs and have so many caterpillars and our plants stripped bare.  Did buy and plant another 6 yesterday but they are really too small.  have tried the larger caterpillars on both our pumpkin and courgette plants but they can’t escape from the plants fast enough.  Have had at least 10 or so new monarchs in last week which is so exciting for my 7yr old son and I but would love to be able to let more get to the chrysalis stage!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Wonderful stuff!

EmerandLuke
    Participant

Thank you for your responses – had checked local kindergartens but due to unexplained small numbers of paper wasps this year –  caterpillars seem to be thriving and swans plants being gorged – BUT – did find grove in local new entrants playground and brought a container of caterpillars there this morning before school much to delight of the children and have a couple of self- appointed guardians who promise to protect them from some of the sometimes over enthusiastic butterfly lovers !

Caryl

I had an over abundance of cats and posted printed notices in my gym, at a local cafe and another at a bookshop. Success. Got more offers than I needed so all is well. Interesting to note that all those who wanted cats had large swan plants and lived high on our hills and none of them had had eggs this season.

Caryl

Jacqui

Welcome to the forum.

If you know anyone headed Hamilton way, there are two great places, the Plant Place on the corner of Kahikatea Drive, almost opposite Gallagher’s, and the Plant Depot in Te Rapa.

Also, you could inquire of local schools…  if other don’t come here and offer ideas.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.