Fallen J- Did I save or doom it?

• Creator
    Topic

NatalieRodene
    Participant

I found a fallen J in my shoebox/nursery this morning. I put tissue paper by its back feet and he reattached but I had to leave it for an hour when I went on a school run. When I came back it has shed it’s skin and changed into it’s chrysalis- the problem is that it has wriggled and shed it’s skin on a bed of cotton wool 🙁 . I have managed to tie it off and hang it on my chrysalis tree without incident. I then managed to very gently pull off 90% of the strands with tweezers without disturbing it but does anyone know what the chances of it surviving are? I feel so stupid to have put cotton wool wool down but I was trying to make it as cushy as possible- I now know better.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl

Great news! Caryl, in Wellington -My count for the season is 874. I am astounded and still more to come. Long live monarchs everywhere in the world!

NatalieRodene
    Participant

Well this butterfly emerged today, the fluff from the cotton-wool seemed to not affect it at all. However it had a slash which formed on the outside of the chrysalis. This resulted in a wing tip which is slightly curved over. He seems ok and is very big and strong. I have tagged him and put him outside to fly 🙂

Jacqui

Hi Natalie – this is the way we learn… and I know that might seem harsh, but we get better and better at helping the monarchs. Let’s hope it comes through okay as I’m sure you’ll be happier if it does.

Keep us posted.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.