Film/video – looks good

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’a a must watch!

This is great to get people interested & those who are new to the wonders of Monarchs.

As for those of us who know lots, it’s abit like Te Papa, really entertaining, but you won’t learn much.

Agreed, that don’t mention Milkweed, but they did mention MonarchWatch, tagging & agricultural spraying & the problems in the Mexican woods.

Worth the technical hassle if you can’t wait for someone to get a copy in NZ.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Link doesn’t work, so goto;
    http://www.ninjacloak.com/ (beware of popups)

Head to bottom of page (below adds), copy the link below into the box & Click ‘Go’.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs/ht/tm/3601.html?site=48&pl=wmp&rate=hi&ch=1

This takes you straight to playing Chapter 1 in Windows Media Player (High Res).

** Note **
    Don’t go for ‘Play All’ & you have to play each chapter in order when the last finishes (otherwise you get the “You’re not in the USA” message.

**Tech note **
    This fools the PBS website into thinking your in the USA.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I played it in Windows Media high resolution from the chapter 1 link.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cracked it!

Hopefully this link works;
    http://www.ninjacloak.com/index.php/1010110A/274afab70d09c89fdce3c0747d8e40e16a70181d7d24872faf3cfbcd7a579bd1ff42839784793c708d7feff24b2971c10b923b16258

It’s also on P2P networks, so hopefully it completes before the law changes in 10 days time.

Robert.

Jacqui

I’m pursuing this line, Ange – a very good idea. Generous offer of you too, to offer your facilities. THANK YOU.

We already have some excellent videos which could be used for this purpose – I need someone to review and catalogue them… any volunteers? Also I have host of books which I would be prepared to loan (some of them) to others – just got to get around to cataloguing them…

Time…

Hi, another option; could the Monarch butterfly buy the DVD then we could host showings around new zealand. Group viewings could be held, and people pay a gold coin donation to view, great social event and get to watch the movie.

Eg: I have a large room with Data projector and could show movie to up to 20 people at a time in Auckland, donations go back to the trust which would pay for DVD and the rest is bonus! My room could be used free of charge to the trust.

Just an idea, Angie

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was going to watch at work, but no Quicktime!

As for the US only stuff, try going to http://www.ninjaproxy.com first, pasting the link ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/butterflies/program-q-300.html ) into to place at the bottom of the page. BEWARE, this site has popups.

Otherwise try doing a search for “public proxy” as there is serveral other websites that work in the same way. I recommand to never use these sites to login anywhere as you never know how the info from the request is being used.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aaaack, Stu – that’s what I found too, but thought it might be my ‘techno dummie” skills at work.

macmonkey
    Participant

Well that rips, you can only view it online if your in the states, bloody americans.

Jacqui

Some comments about this program from the US/Canada (where it was on last night):

Just watched on Nova. Beautiful photography.

Surprised and disappointed to see no mention of milkweed. Monarchs would never get to Canada if it weren’t for milkweed sustaining generations of cats along the way.

Monarch Waystation #6

I thought the same thing. My wife mentioned it as well. Here is a creature that causes no harm to humans or their food crops. I can already hear thousands of kids saying…Daddy, don’t bugs eat the “crops” to which the parents may well respond…”Well the adults don’t but the caterpillars strip everything down to the roots”. That scene with the crop-duster was troubling.

Perhaps the film-makers did not want to make it seem like another natural disaster is inevitable without more evidence but for a show that ran about 8 minutes short of an hour, I was hoping they’d take a few minutes to show how easy it is for people to raise their own Monarchs. They kind of left a lot of the best stuff to those naturally curious enough to go to their website, probably less than 1% of the viewing audience. Fred in Michigan

My thoughts too — about the beautiful photography and the lack of
    milkweed information. Where we live you don’t see milkweed anywhere
    anymore unless it is in someone’s backyard that actually knows something
    about the monarch. Sad really. I guess it’s up to us to keep on teaching
    everyone we come in contact with about milkweed, as well as these
    magnificant creatures!

Karie

I loved the photography, but I was amazed at the comment that “The scientist in 1975 discovered …..” and failed to acknowledge his name.

Also the inaccuracy that the monarch mate in Texas. They really don’t they mate before they leave the sanctuaries and if you are there in March you will see a spectacle. Sooo must be there are no milkweeds in Mexico to support the migration? Well I believe that is not true and I am trying to put together a plan to go look at just that.

We have a lot of work to do!

Also in one of the first few sentences I thought I heard the commentator state that “A hundred million a day hatch”. That didn’t sound right

Oh, ho ho! And mating goes on in the reserves before they start the flight
    north….and Mazahua is NOT pronounced Masa WHO AH! It is Ma Zow wah!

I never heard milkweed mentioned, but, then, my mother was doing running
    questions the entire time:-)

I did catch a glimpse of myself! Just before Eduardo is being interviewed on
    the mountain, we are a group of people climbing up and down the small trail
    from the valley of the three governors to the colony up on Pelon. My hat
    caught my eye, then my poncho:-) When my dvd arrives, I’ll be able to freeze
    frame it ….HA! lol

I am waiting for Chip’s comments…..I am sure he will have plenty for us….

you whooooo…come out come out where ever you are….Chip! You didn’t look
    too dopey, considering your pain and condition!

It comes on again at midnight tomorrow night central time, which is in fact
    Thursday morning at midnight. I may try to watch it again without all the
    questions from my Mother:-)

My impressions:

…of the NOVA special is that it borders near perfection for a television feature, with the exception of no mention of the importance of milkweed and Monarch Waystations. This omission is serious in that it is the one way that citizens can become engaged in maintaining the integrity of the summer breeding grounds. Not informing the audience of this is hard to forgive. I suspect that milkweed is featured in the 80 minute Canadian DVD version vs. NOVA’s 56 minutes. I hope the professional scientists will lobby NOVA to add prominent milkweed info to their website as it is glaringly absent from there as well, save one mention in the director’s interview notes.

The slow-motion camera close ups and accompanying music during pupation and eclosure borders on the poetic. It almost brought tears.

The aesthetic sensitivities of the producers shine with the graceful transitions of scenes and music. While in Mexico, the viewer is treated to the strumming of spanish guitar and festive marimbas.

The aerial and scenic shots were breath-taking from the fir forests in Mexico, over the vast water expanse of the Great Lakes to the concrete jungles of the industrial belt. The spider web “food chain” and crop dusting deaths were realistic; ankle-deep monarch winter scenes were sobering.

The wild and cultivated gardens and meadows featured cardinal flower, phlox, sunflowers, Queen Anne’s Lace, purple larkspurs (?), soapwort, purple aster, culver’s root, lantana, goldenrods, Liatris, purple coneflowers, buddleja, tall verbenas, tropical milkweed (at Monarch Watch) and white asters. The wildflowers in the Mexico sanctuaries looked to be Senecio.

A new fact I learned from Lincoln Brower is that it is the oldest and largest trees in the sanctuaries that retain the most heat during the winter. Thus the critical nature of saving the remaining giants. It makes sense but I’d convinced myself that the reforestation plots would have to do in the decline and eventual absence of old-growth forests. Now, not so much…

I appreciated the voices in the interviews/translations with Alicia Garcia, Eduardo Salinas and Baltazar Gutierrez . I loved the interaction of Lincoln Brower with Homero Aridjis, one of Mexico’s “best loved writers” especially when he spoke of the “spontaneous miracle” and was blessed by these words.

The altars and graveyard scenes with flowers and candles brought back memories of my Mexico trip of November 1, 2004. I had carried with me two tiny film canisters of soil from the graveyard where my parents rest. I love the imagery that the locals pray for the safe return of the butterflies AND the spirits of their loved ones… The town scenes of geraniums, cannas, dahlias and marigolds drifted me back to my appalachian raising where flowers were everywhere, and revered as much as food and water. ..

The interviews with Chip Taylor, Lincoln Brower, Bill Calvert and David Gibo were great – at ease and informative. I loved the hands-on tagging scenes at Haskell wetlands in Kansas. Quite a contrast with the kids in the highlands of Mexico who often go to bed hungry and cold. And how cute was that jack-o-lantern made out of a big gourd? My lord, the scene of plowing cattle straight up that cloddy red soil in Angangueo looked exasperating! What a hard life they live.

I would’ve have clipped the fireworks and foosball, but realize it is an important thread in the culture quilt. The crazy-quilt patchwork nature of the denuded hillsides in the distance, the tequila agaves in the fields, a scene of vultures circling overhead, the soft glow of a full moon stitched it all together beautifully.

How cool was Bill Calvert’s VW Vanagon! Looks like the same model as mine!

Thank you, film maker Nick de Pencier and writer Elizabeth Arledge and the dozens of researchers, producers, editors, translators, assistants…

And Jorge Arriagada’s music? Hauntingly beautiful capturing the magic of the miracle at every point.

A blessing for those who paused for an hour to bear witness to the beauty and mystery in our lives.

It will be a honor to share this program in educational settings for one year.

I echo Ina’s sentiments but want to be a bit louder about the lack of mentions of milkweed and citizen conservation strategies in Canada, the USA and in Mexico.

It was a lovely film – sobering and inspiring at the same time but I felt that a few minutes of broad poetic sweeps could have been gladly sacrificed to mentioning the critical influence of milkweed – or lack of it. That’s really unforgivable. And I thought they’d show a short clip of the Monarch ultralite? : )

Jacqui

http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090127/THINGS0206/901270305/1055/THINGS’Nova’ spotlights monarch butteflies
    Hub – Lansing,MI,USA
    Each year, millions of monarch butterflies leave their homes in Canada or the Northern US They begin a two-month, 2000-mile trip to a mountainous section of …

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/partii/ny-tvpicks6012326jan27,0,886361.story
    Newsday – Long Island,NY,USA
    NOVA (8 pm, WNET/13) – “The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies” looks at the secret world of monarch butterflies. FRONTLINE/WORLD (9 pm, WNET/13) looks …

Jacqui

Yes, tomorrow, here, but probably USA/Canada time another day to wait. 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tomorrow

Anonymous
    Inactive

3 days left.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can watch it onlince from Jan 28th on the same website, so bookmark it & return to watch then.

Robert.

macmonkey
    Participant

Doubt they will show it. I dont think I have ecer seen any of the other programs they have listed on the site. One good thing is that they seen to sell all the programs on DVD. It will have to be a case of watch this space

cheers Stu

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.