First cats of the season!

• Creator
    Topic

TgaLiz
    Participant

Just picked 2 large branches of swan plant with 4 cats about 2nd stage, and 2 new hatchlings!!! The horrid drying winds this week are keeping the wasps away, but I’ve put the branches in a vase inside for safety – with paper towels underneath.
    We have had very little rain so I’m watering the plants to avoid dry stress and to keep the leaves growing.
    I’m in Tauranga.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Have started a new thread regarding swan plant availability: “Looking for swan plants?”

vivhig
    Participant

Cat numbers seem to vary, but have about 10 on one plant and about the same on another, various sizes, both good sized plants. Getting my `house’ up and running!

Charlotte
    Participant

OK, thanks Jacqui 🙂 still very small plants for sale though.
    Mitre 10 Lincoln Rd, Henderson has swan plants for sale at $4.77 each, and some are a good size. However I can see these being sold first and all small ones left.

Kings plant barn in Henderson had only small plants for $1.99 each left on Saturday. They did have a 6 pack for $9.99, but these are no good for feeding hungry caterpillars.

I think I misread Caryl post, silly me. lol.

We have plenty of small swan plant seedlings popping up in the gardens, and we’re going to leave these to grow on and use for back up food.

We have around 8 caterpillars in our castle at present. We’re just bringing in the med to large caterpillars as some of our plants are still small and need to grow more.
    We’ve replanted most of the gardens and pulled out all of our old and lifeless swan plants.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Charlotte, I spoke to Zealandia who end their swan plant growing season at the end of Feb. Today found some swan plants, 4 in a pot, for $6.99 grown by Lansdowne. Bought them from Twigland, Johnsonville store. Also The Warehouse in Lyall Bay have some small plants at $2 each. I have also found more individuals growing and selling their swan plants on Trade Me. I am successfully germinating quite a few plants myself to keep me supplied, I hope, all season. But already I have a large number of caterpillars and eggs. Caryl (in Wellington).

Jacqui

Zealandia are growing more plants. They’re also growing two per pot, which is great news.

Charlotte
    Participant

Is Zealandia going to stop growing swan plants as well Caryl?
    As I thought it was only the grower in Pukekohe\Drury who had stopped.

If this is the case then I better advise our butterfly group and plan ahead.

Regards
    Charlotte

Caryl
    Participant

Great news. I have sent 194 monarch eggs south in the past 2 days by overnight delivery and I have lots more and some tiny caterpillars. This season in Wellington is looking good but I fear the garden centres will not keep up with the demand for plants and big nurseries like Zealandia stop growing them at the end of Feb. I am germinating seeds like crazy!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.