? for the butterfly experts

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

chris
    Participant

Jacqui, like we move chrysali to different positions, can you actually move ‘J’s’???

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Earlier this year was out in the garden when a caterpillar climbed on the ridge of where the door was being shut and turned itself into a crysalis. So I had to move it. I got a bit of cotton and made a very definite tie and transported it to a twig on the laundry window.
    Pam
    from AK

Jacqui

Oh I agree with you Vicky – yes, if they’re on a twig or something, quite safe to move. Sorry I didn’t make myself clear.

Not sure, Pam, abut the chrysalis having frozen – would THINK that that wouldn’t be good for them, but then I read a very interesting book where they found all these Monarchs buried under snow (butterflies) at Mexico and presumed they were dead, and then when it thawed, lo and behold, some of the Monarchs flew away!

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can a crysalis freeze and then a butterfly emerge later?
    Pam
    from Auckland

Gilly
    Participant

Yes, I have moved them when on a twig or something Vicky…. I was wondering if I could have moved them off the roof of my butterfly house but had better not…. will wait until they are chrysali…. thanks you two mad butterfly peoples 🙂 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got desperate one day when I saw a ‘J’ hanging by a thread. He’d lost his grip on the twig and was spinning round and round in a really strong wind. So I cut off the twig he was on, pinned the lot in one of my butterfly boxes and left him in a quiet room. By morning he was a beautiful fat chrysalis and emerged perfectly. Since then, I’ve moved quite a few. There was a bad spell of weather in March, and I moved the ones struggling in the rain. Usually I wait til they’re a chrysalis, but these ones had been hanging for days and looked miserable. They all changed and emerged successfully!

Jacqui

What is this, ME a butterfly expert? Don’t like the title… there are so many experts that teach me, hehe.

Jacqui

I don’t think you should. They’re not stable enough, and will turn to mush so easily. Best to wait until the pupa has hardened off, if you can give it a day after they’ve turned.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.