Found Monarch In House

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Helen Kake
    Participant

Hi, Just found a battered monarch in lounge window on wooden blinds. What do I do? Please advise. Thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clair
    Participant

Hi Lepid, the one I have is the smaller one of the two in the first photo. Yes, you are right, it currently is $39 – I know because I went to the warehouse and looked this morning! But I got mine on sale – they sometimes sell them off cheaply – usually at the end of the season – keep your eyes on them. Also, Bunnings often has them, and sometimes at sale price there too.

It’s a fairly simple job to sew a cover for the one like mine out of mosquito netting – I just have one opening down the middle with velcro on it.

I’ll take some pics, but will have to charge my camera first 🙂

Swansong
    Participant

Wow Lepid looks like a great post. I’ll check out these when I get time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which of the Warehouse ones are useful?

I was at the Warehouse today and got pictures of several different items they have there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lepidopterophile/Misc?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvB-M2FrbCJbQ#

Had a big look on the internet just to see what is there.
    More ideas:

* Dome tents are an interesting idea as they consist usually of an interior section nearly all made of “insect proof” mesh with sewn in floor, the separate fly (outer) being the part that provides privacy and waterproofing. Someone was actually selling a tent inner on Trademe with the poles because they had lost the fly. They only need pegs at the corners to stop it blowing away as the pole system is self supporting. Here is the Trademe sale to show you the idea:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=220252527

* A screen house is an all mesh tent specially made for that purpose and is usually a walk-in height. Cost unknown as they are hard to find in NZ web sites. Durability?

* Cloches are hoops that sit on the ground and cover plants, they can be fitted with insect mesh and are quite cheap, but may not be high enough for many applications.
    e.g.
    http://www.garden-greenhouse.co.nz/clochesystems.html
    http://www.thecompanyshed.co.nz/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
    http://www.greenhouse.co.nz/kerilea.html – one model is 1m high.

Swansong
    Participant

Sounds like wooonderful idea to me Clair. Mind you with my hubby “on the loose” (layed off) at the mo, he would knock me up something similar Im sure. I freely admit Im a “number 8 wire girl” and likely to design all sorts of jackups. All it take is a little imaginitiss :). At the mo mine have free range of the dining room but they keep heading toward the light and dont venture off the old nets much which I have up for their benefits. We have to MANUALLY put them on finger and give them flying time. EACH! AWWW the things we have to do. :).

Clair
    Participant

Yes, they do seem to have their own little foibles!

I bought one of those three tier mini greenhouses from the big red shed when they were on sale at the end of the season – about $20 as I recall. I didn’t put the shelves in, and I got a friend to sew up a cover of mosquito netting to replace the plastic one the thing comes with. I put my fatties on potted swannies in there, and they usually crawl up to the top of the netting to pupate – then I don’t have to worry about them emerging when I am at work or away overnight. It surely was one of the best buys I’ve ever made! When the autumn butterflies are finished, the shelves go back in and the plastic cover goes back on, and it gets used to germinate seeds for the following spring.

It’s only for a brief period at this time of year when I have older butterflies hanging out for decent releasing-type weather that I have to give those ones some room (the spare room) to practise their survival skills instead of dying of boredom!

helen, have you found your butterfly?

Swansong
    Participant

“Congratulations on your success this year. You have really well :)”

Thanks Clair! and yeah I was cheesed off at loosing my boy. What upset me was he didnt die straight away, but I guess the experience was just too much for him. I know we like to watch outside around various buildings and suchlike for cobwebs, because we’ve found new butterflies caught up in them, so it hasnt happened now for a few years coz we’re onto it.

“and had been given the freedom my large spare room.”

Haha what a spoilt butterfly :))).

All mine (that is, what I can find) emerge inside at all times of the year, but not under nets. Have you got one of those Warehouse net enclosures which people talked about last year? …or was it you had the great idea of making that net enclosure. Ive just got my net gizmo “fine tuned” this a.m. for the later butterflies who will go therein until I am satisfied that there will be at least 2 reasonable days ahead, which has just been the case in the last day or 2. Its been “improved where I can put food in there instead of having to get them out. Its really mild this a.m too so im satisfied they will have as best a start as I could give them. Ive decided like you, that I dont release them until I believe they will cope with the rigours of outdoor life. This can indeed differ from butterfly to butterly. …so each one gets indivually assessed :))). Spoilt things. Certainly I like them to be at the very very least 2 days old at this time of the year.

Theyre amazing some of them, and surprise you at how well they pull through. I most certainly reckon they have their own traits. Just like sheep cats horses etc.

Clair
    Participant

Hi Swansong, I’m so sorry you lost your lovely boy – doesn’t it hurt to lose those perfectly emerged butterflies!

My cob-webby boy is fine, and hopefully has learned a valuable lesson for when he gets out into the big wild world where cobwebs are likely to be the least of his problems! I’ll swear he looked very sheepish when he appeared on the bed! He was nearly 2 weeks old, a strong flyer just awaiting suitable weather conditions for release, and had been given the freedom my large spare room. I have found that healthy butterflies a few days old can cope with quite a lot (they would have to in the wild I guess). I have one I rescued that had managed to get herself smeared extensvely with butter! However, even though I was doubtful about her chances, she has come through an absolute champ.

Of course, I wouldn’t advocate the same treatment for newly emerged butterflies. My butterflies emerge under nets inside or out, regardless of the time of year, and stay there until they’re big and well fed and I’m reasonably sure they have a good chance of coping with the vagueries and hazards of either my chaotic home or the world out there!

Congratulations on your success this year. You have really well 🙂

Swansong
    Participant

Unfortunately Clair, I had one that got cobwebs on him earlier on in the year and he was a gorgeous butterfly with NOTHING wrong with him, but he must of just got too stressed out or something before I found him hiding in a dark bookshelf corner and in the end I lost him :(. He was a very new butterfly and had just dried his wings out properly, so it wasnt starvation.

A girl needs to take more care not to have so many darned cobwebs in the place. Amazing how quick they can appear thoguh eh?

Clair
    Participant

I have had some of mine go awol for a while – actually one did last night! I often find that if you warm up the room you think your awol butterfly is in it will generally come out of hiding – I popped the heater on in the room with my awol butterfly and just found him on the bed! Hate to think where he’s been hiding – had to pick cobwebs off him!

Swansong
    Participant

Unless youve left a window open, or its just parked up in your room somewhere, it may have hidden somewhere, probably to start its semi hibernating thing. It is usually in a dark corner or nook somewhere. A favourite is the folds in curtains but anywhere will do. Ive found them in the most craziest places…like the favourite is my built in window seat where they will forever get right down in the depths of the corner in the dark tucked in behind the squab. They would push themselves into the folds of the rug I used to have there.

Generally Ive found its much better to give them the idea 1st by placing them on the food, rather than wait for them to come to it. Some of them can get very weak if you dont start them off. Most will feed on their own, but it also can help to coax them to feed by gently bringing out their proboscis with something like a toothpick. It helps too to put a dash of honey on it.

Cheers
    Swansong

Helen Kake
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui for the email, but I had probably find it first before ringing for help!

Helen Kake
    Participant

Many thanks for all that. I had put some clover honey on a lid onto an ice cream container lid and the butterfly was holding onto the ties of the blind. I managed to get it onto the ice cream lid and then I went out. Now I can’t find it. It can’t get out so hopefully will keep looking. I will try the recipe above and it might find the softer honey!

Swansong
    Participant

Argggh I just lost my post 😐

The Swansong recipe is

Get a lid with some paper handy towel or similar, and make it sodden but not floating or “swimming”. Put a couple of “knifepoints” of flowing honey onto it. If you only have stiff or sticky honey, then just dilute it with a tad of water 1st.

I find butterlies will typically prefer the strongest solution of honey I put before them. Whatever the situation though, this way they can choose how strong the honey is plus they get pure water as well. Quite often I see them dabbing their proboscises all around. Probably to get different strengths of solution.

HTHs
    Swansong

Jacqui

Hi Helen

I’m not quite sure where you are and what the weather is like. It’s a beautiful day here where I am. It must have flown in the window (I presume) when the door was open.

I suggest that if the weather is “not too bad” you could put it outside in a sheltered position – maximum warmth, sun, shelter from rain and wind. It will then take off when the weather is right.

However, as you say it’s battered, it may well be that it has accomplished its mission (finished mating/breeding) and it is time for it to die.

If you wanted to, you could try letting it feed on a sugar syrup or honey/water mix. Butterflies taste with their feet. Hopefully, someone will put the recipe here for you to try.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Helen, Welcome to the forum!

Battered through old age or is it a new butterfly?

If its the former, it is surprising how battered they get and still are well capable of flying. If its the latter and it cant fly at all you can either choose to “put it down” or as some of us do, keep it inside and feed it with solution of Honey and water, or better, if you have them, flowers with nectar. They make quite satisfactory pets. Theres many posts around with tips about keeping our “wobblies”. I let my wobblies who are unable to hold onto net, just sit around on cushions.

HTHs
    Swansong

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.