GE Free corn maze

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jacqui

I love your site and would like to commend you on the hours of work you must put into keeping it running. We have just open a corn maze at Drury and it features the GE Free New Zealand Logo complete with a huge Monarch butterfly (88 metres in diameter) Your forum has been of great assistance to me especialy in regard to catipilar preditors. We have planted 100 of swan plants on site and have had more than our fair shear of pests and not just on the catipilars but also the swan plants.

Keep up the good work and please do pay us a visit if you are down in Auckland.

Regards Ash

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Ash is back building another maze… take a look:

http://cornmaze.co.nz/progress.html

Jacqui

Hey everyone! You HAVE to see this maze. It’s awesome.

It’s a huge space, corn-rows in a paddock – you know how you’ve seen them in movies, and dreamt about what fun it would be to run through them? Don’t expect anything too built up like Rainbows End, all concrete and steel, it’s a rural attraction in a rural area.

Well done, Ash, to you and your team. It must have taken so much work. I encourage everyone to go out there and see it (and did so today in my rounds around Auckland).

Can’t wait to get back and spend some time getting lost there, LOL. Such a wonderful environment to study insect life. EXCELLENT!!!

Sutton Road is easy to find in Drury – head north along Great South Road from the motorway exit at Drury, pass the Jolly Farmer, look for Sutton Road on your right. In Sutton Road, near the railway line, look out for the flags… and you’re there.

Hope you have great weather over Easter Ash, and that you have countless visitors.

Cheers

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gilly and Jacqui. It was a lot of work and I hope plenty of people turn up. We had some new aerial photos of the Maze on Saturday. All the flowers in the butterfly have started blooming now so I’m hoping they look quite stunning. The Monarchs we’ve breed seem to be hanging around a bit longer now that we have flowers for them. Would you like me to email you a copy when they arrive?

Most of the images on Google Earth are about 4 years old so you won’t be able to see it for a few more years yet. This photo on Google Earth of our farm in Mangere was taken in 2004 and was our inspiration for our GE maze. http://local.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=-36.959357,174.781923&spn=0.005975,0.009978&t=k&om=1 Google’s a bit behind the 8 ball with their imagery.

Ash

Gilly
    Participant

That IS amazing Ash! What a lot of work you must have put into this!!

Jacqui

Wow Ash!

That’s AMAZING.

It was fantastic seeing what you’d done on your website, Ash. I wish I’d known about it earlier, so I could have visited when I was down that way.

I also looked at it on Google Earth and Google maps, but you’re JUST on the border of rural/built up, so the picture is very fuzzy, what a shame!

Anyway, I can’t wait to visit. AWESOME!!!

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jacqui. We have a web site at http://www.cornmaze.co.nz which will tell you a bit about our maze. It has our contact details and a map on how to find us. When you visit do you have some flyers for the Monarch Trust that we can display in our sales shed for you?

We originaly planted about 15000 swan plant seeds on the property and had a poor gernination and most of the seed that did grow died off for some unknown reason. We brought in about 500 plants for the border of the GE butterfly and around the edge of the corn feild which are doing very well at the moment. The balance of the seed, about half of it, has just started growing over the last week and looks like it should do fine.

For you readers interest the season is running about 6 weeks behind schedule at the moment. We have seen this not only in our corn crop, which was not planted until December the 15th, but also with the growth in our Christmas trees. I have a friend who is a profesional frisherman who say it is the same with the fish this year. My belief is that it is not late for young catipilars as there are still plenty of eggs being layed on our swan plants. The butterflys know best.

Ash

Jacqui

Hey Ash! Great to hear this. I would love to see the corn maze — sounds awesome.

Whereabouts is the maze? I will try and get there soon.

If you have any organic tips for us at any time, please leave them for us here. We would love to share your tips.

Jacqui

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.