Gill, drought, your Pukeko

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you still have your Pukeko?

The Northland drought has been on the news and I saw your comment to Terry this morning.

Just wondering how the garden is faring, all the critters and a swamp bird? Would love an update – he was a character. Guess he will have grown since the 'bird thread'.

It's pretty dry here, but nothing like the far north. As crazy as it seems, West Ak is drier than the rest of the city.

Butterfly season has gone nuts – obviously not vigilant enough with netting and my plants are nearly stripped again. Need to buy more plants tomorrow, darn it.

Do you have many monarchs there now? Jacqui said it was a monarch famine earlier in the season.

Lost all my skinks for a bit, but found them moved to a new home in a ponga log :).

Best

Trisha

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

VickySteele
    Participant

What I need is a Gill in Christchurch! I find it unnerving caring for a wild bird, but I'm doing my best (with coaching from Gill). Lillie is caged, albeit that I dislike doing that a LOT. Waiting to see if her wing will heal. She's happy when I put her out on my deck and the other sparrows come to chat to her (or nick her food). She's still wild and doesn't like me much (yet). I love sparrows too, and they're great at getting little insects in the garden.

Big sparrows sound lovely – can you get a dovecote or something, and see if your pair might breed? Gill might be able to comment on that. She has a wonderful story about two rescue blackbirds that paired up and had a family of their own. Neat story.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Goodness, Gill – you have had all sorts. Oh a weka chick – very cute, I bet. Was it very tiny? Never have seen a weka in the wild, but they have a few at Auckland zoo – handsome birds.
    Ooooh, a cuckoo.
    Well, if these doves hang about maybe they will have babies ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think they are a pair – hard to tell – the sexes are lookalike. The one who came first is a bit smaller than the other.

Goodness – how do you care for a flightless sparrow, Vicky?
    I love little sparrows – someone called them flying mice a while ago, which I thought was cute.
    The Malay doves look a bit like giant sparrows if they don't have their necks stretched to show their spots.
    Very pleasing picture seeing the big ones foraging for seed around the lawn with all the little sparrows around them :):)

OK, Robert – I hadn't noticed a price hike for swan plants, but, yes, I guess money is generally short for some to spend outside of basic needs. Most people who have reared monarchs before would have an established food supply, though, I would think. Never enough – darn it. Is hard to keep ahead of those caterpillars.

Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Trisha,

>what economic reasons?
    The so-called recession & the cost of Swan Plants increasing along with everything else.

Robert.

VickySteele
    Participant

Never heard of Malay doves before – just googled them, lovely looking birds. Lucky you Trisha ๐Ÿ™‚

That's quite a selection Gill! Last time I was at your place you had one Thrush. Is Pav your favourite? Just as well Eldon likes to go fishing, hehe.

Got a little wild one of my own now, Lillie the (so far) flightless sparrow. She's got a dislocated wing. Express delivery to Russell, perhaps?

Nice thing about creating a garden for butterflies is that there's a lot of benefit for other wildlife as well. Oh, I suppose the bread, seed, corn, apples, fatballs and pasta I put out might be a small attraction too ….

Gilly
    Participant

I'd love a couple of Malay doves please Patz…. you must have a nice safe garden for them.

Yes, Vicky, had quite a lot of birds this summer – the weather has and still is, very hard on them. Have raised and released some Welcome Swallows (that still buzz over my head when they see me), a family of sparrows, still got 2 tuis that are slowly being released, a Weka chick called Ralph that will probably remain in my garden when he is releaseable (as long as he and Pav get along together….(hang on, don't want them to get on too well otherwise I might end up with young Puwekas all running amock ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰ Had penguins, giant petrel, seagulls, blackies, thrush, kingfishers, cuckoos…. obtained more aviaries and my spare bedroom is still the hospital room…. no wonder my hubby goes to see so much ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive

Robert – meant to ask – what economic reasons?
    The cost of swan plants?
    Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, yes – I'd forgotten Gill does bird rescue. I looked at her blog last year.
    Do tell more, Gill. Glad Pav is doing well with you still.
    Two Malay doves have moved in here – they didn't need rescuing – but they seem here to stay and I do feed them dove seed mix now. Delightful birds – such nice manners around the other garden birds. I didn't know what they were until I Googled and found pics.
    Wow – fantastic price for swan plants in Chch, Vicky. Nothing like that around in Auckland. Maybe because the season goes on longer up here because of the climate?
    Best
    Trisha

VickySteele
    Participant

Just Pav, Gill? You're not going to share any info on the rest of your amazing menagerie?

Swan plants are a great price, in most garden centres, in Christchurch at the moment. $1-99 for plants over 1m tall. Just a shame these sort of prices aren't around at the beginning of spring.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great to hear Pav is fairing well.
    I think lots of people have reduced Butterfly rearing due to economic reasons, which is a shame, but understandable.

Gilly
    Participant

I do have Pav the Puke, Patz… thanks for asking. Great bird… every home should have one.

Garden is terrible – due to drought and Pav ๐Ÿ˜€ Pav reduced to one bowl of water per day now… good thing he likes his water manky.

Very few butterflies up here… lots of swan plant untouched. But I think not so many people are 'growing' butterflies up here in Russell now ๐Ÿ™ Skinks, yes, flipping kingfishers though love 'em.

Good to hear from you!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.