Gisborne cockroach in Nelson

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Chrissie Ward
    Participant

We collected a large number of plant pots from the recycling centre today and were in the middle of potting up swan plant seedlings when a very large and handsome beetle appeared out of nowhere. It was easily identified as a Gisborne cockroach as the creamy edges to its thorax are unmistakable. It was 32mm in body length and very lively. It must have come from the old pots; but if so it survived being washed under the outside tap! It’s now somewhere in the garden, where it is welcome to stay. I haven’t seen one before and wonder how common they are in the South Island? This is Nelson city; 2.30pm, sunny, 15 degrees.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Errol
    Participant

I would say they are becoming more common at least in the upper South Island urban centres. I’m in Motueka and we have had several come inside during this last year or so. They eat decomposing vege material such as compost and live mostly in leaf litter or bark gardens, so they usually perish inside from starvation.

But it can be a bit scary to see them running about inside, especially in dark cupboards etc. Worse still when they climb up on to your bed and run about over your face – as has happened to me in the middle of the night!

Errol

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.