Heavy Rain?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Rebecca
    Participant

I have heard that there is a heavy rain warning for the North Island – does this mean I should move chrysalises to a sheltered area? What about caterpillars?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Hoeta
    Participant

Yes I’m like Rebecca, I put my plants under the eaves by the back door and although they are still outside they are reasonably safe from the wind and rain, lucky I dont have that many.

105 plants !!!!! goodness

Darren
    Participant

Well my plants at Maleme Street got more than a good watering! The ditch flooded and judging by the tide marks on the fence there would have been a good foot of water flowing through. Luckily all the plants I had put in survived.

I just planted another 105 swan plants this morning thanks to Jacqui.

Jacqui

Clinton – don’t forget to log any sightings into http://www.mb.org.nz, where it will go straight into the database so that we can see the pattern for future years.

Darren – great timing! Lots of floods on my way home from Russell, I’m pleased to be home safe and sound.

Rebecca
    Participant

We have had non-stop rain four about 24 hours now in Hamilton. I moved Chrysalises under the porch so that they wouldn’t be too affected by it and so they are still ourdoors. I think the caterpillars should be fine as the plants are in a sheltered area. The temparature has dropped here too and I think that they like that less than the rain.

We do need some rain because things were getting very dry 🙂

Darren
    Participant

And its good for the plants. I put in 3 buddleias, 2 lions tails, a lemon myrtle, 8 nettles and 20+ swan plants at Maleme St on Friday. They will certainly be getting a good watering now.

clinton9
    Participant

Hi everyone who is fed up with the heavy rains.

Cheers up the heavy rains will be followed by sight of Aussie butterflies.

On 1995 on Feb, on Wednesday the weather were very heavy rains, then 3 days later on Sat I saw a Lesser Wanderer butterfly.

Now hopefully the aussie butterflies are riding on top of big clouds on way to NZ here now.

cheers

Clinton.

Darren
    Participant

I don’t think the rain will hurt them much, but inside they are at risk from dehydration, especially if you have aircon. If you do bring them inside its a good idea to give them a misting of water every couple of days.

Jacqui

They will cope as Nature intended, Rebecca. Saying that, though, some people are more protective and move things under shelter. (I don’t.)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.