HELP! Need to release Late emerging Monachs in Chch area!

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Shaz
    Participant

I work at a local preschool where the children have been fascinated with butterflies for months now. We have a recent butterfly that I must rehome, and I am aware that they winter over in parks around Chch, but do not know whether I am best to put it with a colony on a tree, or let it go in the general area and let it find its own way, especially in this terrible weather we have at the moment.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

VickySteele
    Participant

Hi Shaz – I’ve spent a good part of my weekend so far showing people how to care for, and feed their butterflies until the weather improves (hopefully on Monday!). Either email me vicky@monarch.org.nz or ring me 3584 396, or give me your details and I will contact you.

I need to know what area of town you’re in – there are many, many overwintering sites around, so I can help you find the right one (if one isn’t already close to you).

Vicky

Clair
    Participant

The best thing you can do is to keep that butterfly inside while the weather is bad because they can’t fly in low temperatures. Then on a sunny day, release it in a park close to the cluster. It will need to feed every few days – there is heaps of info on this forum to help you with that, and heaps of people willing to help answer any questions.

Best of luck!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.