Home for hungry caterpillars wanted – Mt Albert, Auckland

• Creator
    Topic

petalikefeta
    Participant

Hi there,

My large plants have been stripped and I would love to relocate about 15 hungry caterpillars. Im in Mt Albert, Auckland.

Cheers
    Peta

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, don’t use regular post. Some of the items we send out for the MBNZT took TWO WEEKS to get from one side of Auckland to another!

Also, I suggest that you pack a lot of airspace. This can be done easily enough by putting a few twigs in there to give the caterpillars room to crawl around, and keeps the leaves from all sitting on the bottom. Doesn’t matter much what the twigs are (but don’t use anything strong smelling like eucalyptus or pine, of course).

Caryl

Hello Chay 73, I’m uncertain who you are asking to send caterpillars to you in Dunedin. I strongly advise overnight courier. Mailing caterpillars would take up to 5 days and cats don’t like being in close proximity. Caryl (Wellington)

Chay73
    Participant

Hello. It’s a tall ask. Could you please put them in a container with a few leaves and send them to me in Dunedin. I’ve had them sent before by post and they survived. I’d pay for it of course.

rob cooper
    Participant

make sure the pumpkin is well washed so no pestersides residue

Caryl

I have found caterpillars prefer cucumber to pumpkin.
    Caryl

petalikefeta
    Participant

Great thank you Jacqui!

Jacqui

I’m not sure if you’ll find any, Peta.

If they’re bigger than 3cm, put them onto pumpkin (but separate from your swan plant or they’ll try to go back to it).

Have you got Araujia sericifera growing wild nearby? You could leave the caterpillars to fend for themselves on that – the fittest will survive. You’d be doing Auckland Council a favour too!

Remember it’s not the perfect solution but it can be heartbreaking to do nothing.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.