How to care for butterflies pupating in autumn

• Creator
    Topic

butterfly_mum
    Participant

Hello

I have 9 caterpillars who have gone into cocoons over the last week -ten days and 2 more pupating and two on my swan plant.

Are these Likely to be wintering ?

I have never managed to get to crysalis so not sure if auckland is too cold for them this time of year or if they will follow a normal pattern.

I just want to make sure they are looked after

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

monkey
    Participant

I have quite a few inside in Hamilton. I have brought in the very fat caterpillars but not thin one or small ones as previous previous experience tells me that they are always unsuccessful. But still the Monarchs are mating!! They don’t seem to have heard of diapause. Some days are very warm, but the nights are cooling down considerably. I have tried to bring in any chrysalises I see, as I want to do something with my garden which is becoming overgrown, my age & energy levels are showing.

Jacqui

If you think the atmosphere in the room you have it is dry, yes. When it gets closer to e-closing, stop misting

Cheers

Piwakawaka12
    Participant

Hi, I’m in Marlborough and I brought my caterpillars inside as there has been a lot of wasps on the swan plants this year. I now have 4 chrysalises formed. Should I be spraying them with water-mist to stop them from drying out? Thanks.

Jacqui

Hello I am in Blockhouse Bay and it’s not too cold for monarchs out there. In the past we have had eggs and caterpillars in May and I think the season is pretty much normal

I am hoping that I have some caterpillars out in my garden but after an accident (1 April) I returned from hospital last Tuesday and haven’t really had a good look outside as I am more or less stuck indoors

Should you need any help don’t hesitate to phone me and break my boring day, 027 481 4811

LeslieD
    Participant

I see Auckland is still getting good daytime temps. IMO a lot depends how sheltered the chrysalids are. Personally if I had the facilities I’d be starting to bring them in just to ensure they had a sheltered spot to develop and they developed sooner rather than be delayed as happens this time of year. However someone living in Auckland might have different views.
    I find the little artist pegs you can get from bookshops is great for pegging chrysalids.

butterfly_mum
    Participant

Thanks so much. We go down to 13 at night so do you think they need to come in ? There is a lot of them 🙂

LeslieD
    Participant

I’m in Wellington which is colder than Auckland and I’ve had my last butterfly emerge up to early June. Because of the cold here I bring the chrysalids ‘in’ to shelter from late march. I’ve had a little line of chrysalids in my hothouse .. I try to get them with a piece of leaf or at least some silk attached so I can peg them to one of the shelves. Its worked pretty well. You can have them inside the house but you need to be careful to account for dry dehumidified air .. spritz them daily with a little water but don’t leave them on a wet surface if you have them lying down. Also don’t have them exposed to direct light through a window or they will dry out and cook. and you can have them lying down under the likes of a cake cover. As they get ready to eclose they need to be close to a side so they can climb up to dry out.
    Good luck!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.