Hungry caterpillars, Christchurch

• Creator
    Topic

aniko
    Participant

Hello, we have caterpillars migrating to us from our neighbours eaten up plants and we couldn’t find swan plants at any nursery. We are feeding them pumpkin but they don’t grow. Pumpkin is good for the adult ones only but not for the young ones. Could anybody help with swan plants in or around Christchurch? Thank you!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blairmuddy
    Participant

I have had quite a lot of my caterpillars turn into chrysalis over the last few days so if anyone has run out of food for their caterpillars and don’t want to buy any more plants you can make contact with me and I can give them a home. Regards Blair

Jacqui

Denise has more plants in Redwood Christchurch – please phone her on 352 8123 for address. The plants are $7 each and they’re very good value. Get in quick before they all go. It would be helpful if you could have the correct change when paying.

Thanks!

Errol
    Participant

This link may help those of you in Chch who have run out of food for their Monarch larvae.

swan plant available,christchurch

Good luck.

scootercat
    Participant

I had some sent to me in an ice cream container in a courier van, they all survived unshaken. The eggs seem to transport well too.

Rosemarie
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about caterpillars dying from the shaking in the car. I had branches couriered down from Hamilton to Christchurch wrapped in bubble wrap over night and some caterpillars were on them – they are fine. And when I got the rest of the plants down from Hamilton they took 5 days to get here by truck – caterpillars arrived on them as well – they are also fine.

joyce.f
    Participant

Hi Jacqui , the shaking in the car. any way they have a better chance than here. I am interested in growing those big plants. Joyce.f

earthora
    Participant

Sorry Blair, I missed your post. Thank you, but I now have some of the swan plants that were shipped in for us from Denise. They are big and bushy, much, much better than the tall spindly numbers I have been getting from the garden centres for $13 a pop. So nice also to meet someone who really understood how I was feeling! No-one at the garden centres really wanted to know =)

So the ones that didn’t go walkabout or smaller ones that didn’t make it on pumpkin have been moved to their new home and are much, much happier. It has been a pretty traumatic learning curve about culling eggs if you get too many, but I’m all ready for next season now.

Thank you so much to everyone at this forum, I don’t know what I would have done without you! Had a lot more sleepless nights I would think.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Jacqui

…with all that shaking on the ways ,that they may not live.

Don’t quite understand your thinking, Joyce. What “shaking”?

joyce.f
    Participant

Hi well I took my caterpillars to Blair and then learnt that with all that shaking on the ways ,that they may not live. Should have been more patient. Thanks very one Joyce.f

Rosemarie
    Participant

they are over a metre high with 4 – 8 branches on them

sjhou1
    Participant

Do you know how big they are?

Jacqui

The plants have arrived in Redwood Christchurch – please phone Denise on 352 8123 for address. The plants are $7 each and it would be great if you could have the correct change when paying.

Thanks!

blairmuddy
    Participant

Hi earthora
    If you are still looking to find a home for your monarch caterpillars I probably could give them a home.
    Regards Blair

blairmuddy
    Participant

Hi aleyyoung
    If you still want to find a home for your monarch caterpillars I can take them.
    Regards Blair

joyce.f
    Participant

Hi sue thank you for offer of more swan plants . I have only one grub left others /wandered of or died I have offered pumpkin in 2 versions .not like either. waiting more news of when for food. Thanks joyce.f

suehickling
    Participant

Have spoken to Blair, who has offered to take caterpillars in Westmelton. I will be leaving to go there around 2.30pm today. If there is anyone else needing some taken there and you can get them to me in Linwood I am happy to take those too. Suki 021 2066358

Jacqui

I have merged all of the Christchurch/swan plants/hungry caterpillars into one post – if you have put a tick in the box (at the bottom) which says NOTIFY ME OF FOLLOW-UP REPLIES VIA EMAIL, then when the plants arrive in Christchurch, you will receive an email. Feel free to contribute to this discussion, however.

blairmuddy
    Participant

If you have no luck getting any more swan plants I could probably take some of them off your hands. My cell phone number is 0275908065. Regards Blair

blairmuddy
    Participant

my phone number is 0275908065

suehickling
    Participant

Hi Blair,
    That would be great. How do I contact you directly to drop them off?
    Suki

blairmuddy
    Participant

Hi , I have got swan plants at my place that haven’t been eaten out by the caterpillars if you would like me to take the caterpillars off your hands. Regards Blair

blairmuddy
    Participant

Hi , I have plenty of swan plants at my place in West Melton and could take your surplus caterpillars. Regards Blair

Rosemarie
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

I ordered the ones from Hamilton and Bruce put in more for the butterfly society. I was told that they will arrive in Christchurch at lunchtime Tuesday. They are tall over 1 metre to 1.5 metres in height.

Jacqui

They will be in Belfast area – haven’t heard that they’ve been delivered yet… waiting to hear. Maybe Tuesday before they arrive.

suehickling
    Participant

Hi, desperate for plants again….Called every nursery, Bunnings, Mitre 10’s etc in Ch Ch I could think of today. Everyone said the same thing, that there are no plants left in Ch Ch. Just posting this to save someone else time. Good idea to keep checking though.Where will the plants be sold at Jacqui when they arrive? Cheers

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.