I have eggs but no caterpillars

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I have looked through old forums but cannot find an answer to my question.

I have many vigourous Swan Plants. I watch the butterflies lay the eggs but then something goes wrong. I never seem to get caterpillars. They have self seeded at Piha. I don’t use spray and there is no chance of drift.

I was in the area of ariel spraying for the Painted Apple Moth but that was a while ago wasn’t it.

Its so sad. All these plants and no caterpillars to eat the leaves!!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gilly
    Participant

I’ve seen ants carrying off the eggs also and tiny caterpillars. I put a thick coating of vaseline around the stem of the swan plant or talcolm powder thickly around the base.

Marie Smith
    Participant

If it is wasps dstanl, this is a solution that I have developed, amke and sell. Obviously it would be impossible for you to cover all plants this way, but at least it save some of the butterfly’s babies. 🙂

Caterpillar cosy

Let us know what your closer observations reveal. The wasps will eat the eggs too and attack newly hatched butterflies and sometimes the crystalii as they break open. :(((

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, I don’t see any nibbled patches. I will look more closely at the eggs that are on the plant at the moment. It could be wasps as I see quite a few of them taking on water at our pond.

Marie Smith
    Participant

I expect you have an infestation of either wasps or praying mantis. You would need to observe keenly to catch these predators at work.

Q: Do the eggs hatch? i.e. do little nibble patches appear on any of the leaves where the eggs have hatched but the little caterpillers have been eaten by predators fairly soon afterwards.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.