I’m exhausted

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

misssakura
    Participant

This is the first time I’ve raised monarchs. Actually I wasn’t intending to at all! I wanted to plant a swan plant so that my cat could watch the butterflies from inside. I only planted one. Within a week it already had 3 caterpillars munching away. But they started vanishing. I noticed some chubby praying self satisfied mantids and realised the problem – the caterpillars were getting eaten! I love mantids as well as monarchs (And honestly seeing some people here say they squash the mantids makes me feel unwell) so I decided to relocate 2 of the caterpillars on the plant to inside.

So now I have 15 and I’m exhausted. My swan plants are only babies so they’re not growing fast enough to feed these hungry caterpillars. 2 of them have turned into crysalis form, 2 of them are ready to go into that form. I’m cleaning them out and giving new leaves every hour. When I’m at work (I do 12 hour days at a pharmacy) my partner helps out.

Hopefully my swan plant will last just long enough to help all of these through to the butterfly stage but I didn’t realise how exhausting raising caterpillars could be! I even find myself waking up in a panic during the night and running downstairs to make sure they haven’t run out of leaves. Thought I was going to fall asleep at work today ;)

Anyway thanks to all the information here I think I’m doing okay so far, I’m pretty worried about running out of food but hopefully I can just sacrifice baby swan plants, as many as I need to get me through.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, I’ve noticed this before and seem to recall that it was when I had a lot of caterpillars, I mean, a huge amount, and rather crowded on food – they were all doing it.

As Rob says, they will also do it if they are bothered by another caterpillar intruding on “their” space.

If these are the caterpillars you have moved from one food source to another, it might well be a response to the change of diet, nothing to worry about.

There is an interesting fact sheet here on the Monarch Watch site about butterflies’ sensory organs (but I just checked it out, and it doesn’t relate to this discussion).

http://www.monarchwatch.org/biology/sense1.htm

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’ve had one twitching recently (first time I’ve observed this too).

Usally it’s when they get tickled, annoy each other or are attacked.

Robert.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Trisha,

I shall ask Allan but not sure as he has just gone back to work. So depending on how busy they are he would come. Nah I not worried about you ladies, heheheehe.
    Perhaps if we could make it a bit later than midday it would make it easier for Allan to come. He would love it.
    Let me know.

Yes I can definetly help out plenty for them to munch onhere.

My pillars do that from time to time missakura. I think its normal. Perhaps Jacqui might let ya know here or others on the forum.

Cheers
    Charlotte

misssakura
    Participant

A few of my caterpillars will eat then violently twitch once and then go still, then eat and repeat. I didn’t notice them doing this before. Is this normal for them to twitch like that?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Misssakura

Nice to meet you this afternoon.

If you want to send some caterpillars off to Flutterbys Charlotte for raising, I will be back in Parnell on Friday and could bring them back to her. They have a great Swan Plant grove going.

Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Charlotte, I am really looking forward to Jacqui’s visit. See you there. Looks like there are a few takers.
    Parnell mission accomplished, though the plants were small they should help.
    Very sweet young lady.
    Is Al allowed to come to the picnic? Or are you afraid we’ll try to steal him?
    There will be other “blokes”, it seems.
    Best
    T

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Trisha,

Awesome when we can help out huh. Hope all is going well with you and your pillars.
    Catch you next Fri at West Lynn Gardens.

Cheers
    Charlotte

misssakura
    Participant

If you’re driving along stanley street towards the docks and then turn right up parnell road its the first batch of shops on the right. Is that too much of a detour? (number 109 parnell road)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have no idea where that is – but sounds like a plan. Is it near where Parnell Rd and Parnell Rise separate? I always go up from Stanley St and don’t usually go up past my daughter’s place. A wee detour is just fine.
    Best
    Trisha

misssakura
    Participant

Ah you’re going to the bottom end? I work at Net Pharmacy which is next to the strawberry alarm clock and mink cafe (opposite subway and bnz bank). Perhaps I could walk out and meet you?

misssakura
    Participant

p.s. appreciate my reply have been too late, if it is thanks for the offer once again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there

I’m going to Parnell Rd – bottom end. Parnell is not that big.
    I need to leave here about 4.30 to be at my daughter’s place around 5.30 (freaking motorway at that time of day) – so give me a plan.
    He could meet there if that suits – the apartments right at the end opposite the park. Plenty of parking there? I drive a little silver Echo.

misssakura
    Participant

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for the kind offer, wasn’t expecting that! I would appreciate some plants if it really doesn’t take you out of your way, I won’t be home until late evening but my partner is home or he can go and meet you somewhere more convenient…

-Frances

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Missakura
    I’m coming to Parnell late this afternoon (to visit daughter) and could drop you off some very young, potted plants, if that would help at all.
    Best
    Trisha

misssakura
    Participant

Hullo, I’m in Parnell Auckland.

My third one is getting to hang but he has scars on him and I just suspect he’s infected.

belong
    Participant

Where abouts are you? I’m in waimate in Canterbury and could let you have a swan plant in a pot. I have plenty of plants but no caterpillars and would dearly love some. Have relesed 8 butterflys in past week but all have gone walkabout and haven’t seen them. have plenty of nectar and swan plants so hope trhey return. Bill

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Missakura,

If you get stuck, give me a shout I can take some pillars off ya hands and raise them for you and if you like give them back when in chrysalis form.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.