'J' cats versus chrysalis collection

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl

Hello Everyone, I’m in Wellington and this week have had my first of the season butterflies eclose successfully. Because our last season was disastrous I have been collecting most of the chrysalides and many J’s and brought them inside safe from rats and mice and hedgehogs. I lost a few to them a couple of weeks ago. What I am discovering is that the ‘J”s have made unmarked chrysalides and some of the chrysalides that were ok when bought inside have developed some marks and some will result in deformed butterflies. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I do mist the chrysalides every day to mimic the dew they would get outside. I look forward to any responses. Thank you, Caryl

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Caryl

Thanks for that – that is strange! Possibly though, the event that has caused it happened a few weeks earlier, before the J’s were laid as eggs. I can’t think of any other reason.

Jacqui

Caryl

Hi Jacqui, When I bring J cats in and they make their chrysalides they are perfect whereas chrysalides outside and brought in develop more deformities. This is likely to have happened before I brought them inside. I daily mist them. Hope this clarifies! Caryl

Jacqui

“What I am discovering is that the ‘J”s have made unmarked chrysalides and some of the chrysalides that were ok when bought inside have developed some marks and some will result in deformed butterflies.”

Can you clarify this, please, Caryl?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.