Large(size of monarch),Charcoal Grey Moth

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

On Thursday 18.02.2010, a large charcoal grey moth flew into my lounge. It was soft and hairy, but I did not get a good look at it, because it landed on edge of sofa, and I quickly cupped it in my hands to save it from the family cat. On releasing it out door to set it free, I noticed it had lighter grey circles on outer edges of wings.

I am a new comer to the 'Forum ' family, and wondered if any one could help me identify this moth. Sorry I did not get a good look as it was eager to get free.

Thankyou, Gaynor Tait, Gisborne.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

GaynorTait
    Participant

It visited during lunch time (mid day), and was so eager to break free ,I did not want it hurt by trying to hold it. My cat named Mischief , would love to catch it and play with it!!
    Thank you for your help, and yes I will take a photo if I am lucky enough to see it again.
    Cheers, Gaynor.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Gaynor,

There are basically only three NZ moths around the size of a monarch, the Puriri moth which is usually green, the Gum emperor moth which is brown, and the Wattle moth. It may have been a migrant, and if you happen to see it again try and get a photo of it which will eliminate the guess work.
    Was it during the day or evening?
    Maybe your cat may catch it!
    Cheers.

GaynorTait
    Participant

Sorry I meant MOTH not butterfly!!!
    Cheers, Gay

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thankyou Norm, a beautiful butterfly, but not what I saw. It was a lot darker in colour and had distinct circles on outer edges of wings in a lighter grey. Maybe it will remain a mystery unless I happen to see it again or one the same.
    Have a good day all.
    Regards,
    Gaynor Tait, Gisborne.

Jacqui

Beautiful moth, Norm.

Dasypodia cymatodes moth

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Gaynor,
    Sorry but I mixed my facts and the Wattle moth caterpillar eats the leaves of wattle trees rather than the wood. I have posted a photo of the Wattle moth to the MBNZT Website Photograph section. It may take a little while to upload, but when it does I would be interested to know if that is the moth you saw. Ir may eat the leaves of other trees but I have no references of that.

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thankyou Norm, I have not heard of them. It proves that one can never stop learning!! Would they live in eg silver birch or other trees as well?
    In my book "A Concise Guide To Butterflies and Moths" by Elizabeth Balmer, the closest I could find was a Black Witch (ascalapha odorata), but it was also in brown and metalic blue colouring., which was not right.—- and mainly were in America and Canada, although are known to migrate long distances.

NormTwigge
    Participant

By the size and colour description my guess would be Dasypodia cymatodes, the Northern Wattle moth, also known as pepe atua, owl, peacock and moon moth. There is a Southern form (D.selenophora) which is more brownish in colour. The caterpillar bores into the wood of Acacia trees (wattle)and it has naturalised here from Australia.
    Norm.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.