Life of Swan Plant

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Rachel
    Participant

Can anyone tell me how long a single swan plant will live for naturally if left uneaten by caterpillars?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

It certainly doesn’t hurt to do so, Emma. Once a day, or twice a week. The “old” water would be great in your compost heap, or on the garden.

Boopino
    Participant

Hi, am I meant to change the water on the ones in vases and how often?

Gilly
    Participant

I’m finding that if you cut the stems that have flowers on, you can keep the swan plant growing really well..ie don’t let it go to seed.

Jacqui

Yes, Ange is right, some do last longer than that. There were up until a year ago a couple of plants, giant ones, at Okiato (where the ferry leaves from) and they were about 6-7 years old. The trunk was like a man’s leg. But these are not the norm.

I stand by what I say, I think you can count on getting 2-3 years out of a plant before it falls over (they’re shallow-rooted), blows over, succumbs to disease or gets eaten into the throes of death by too many caterpillars.

I am very pleased this summer with some giant plants that I planted in a large pot, three together. They are about 2 metres tall and are staked. Next season I will do more like that and move them in and out of my greenhouse as needed. At present I am doing this with single plants – in when they’ve got lots of leaf, out again when they are just stems, to recover in my “other” greenhouse, where they’re protected from Monarchs. But that’s a lot of pots.

That’s also meant I’ve been less reliant on cut branches – people who want to get rid of their plants mostly, I bring branches in (smash the bottoms) and put them in pots in my greenhouse. What happens is the caterpillars tend to pupate on some of the branches and I don’t have the time to sort things out – so I have ended up at times with buckets of smelly water -> disease and other problems. So this year it’s working better.

Now, don’t get me wrong – I am not telling you this is how it MUST be done. There are other ways and it would be great if people who do it other ways added them to the thread. I’m not saying “this is the (right) (only) way to do it” – but it may give others some food for thought.

Swansong
    Participant

Good question. Is this just the common swan plant we are talking about?

Swansong

Hi, I think Beverly may have ones older than that.
    Angie

Jacqui

Hi Rachel

Probably 2-3 years at the most. Hope that helps!

Jacqui

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.