Mating Butterflies

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl

I released a new female outside after her wings had dried early afternoon today. She was right in front of me on a swan plant and lo and behold a male came along and began mating with her. Then another flew in to join them and the first male swooped her away. Less than 2 hours old!!
    Caryl (Seatoun, Wellington)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

will do 🙂

Jacqui

Leslie – if you’d like to send the eggs to me in Auckland, I’d appreciate them. Email me if you are keen, please.

Jacqui

rob cooper
    Participant

thats cool

LeslieD
    Participant

ordinary sized leaf and most of the eggs were laid on the bottom third … butterfly must have sat there and laid one after the other. I know they won’t survive 🙁 that’s why i’m not worried to cull eggs. I’m bringing all my little ones into the hothouse now.

Caryl

OMG Leslie, 15! Amazing. I’ve had multiple eggs on leaves but not that many. The leaf must be quite large. Sadly I think it’s too late for them to complete their life cycle. Caryl

LeslieD
    Participant

I just counted 15 eggs on one leaf! definitely all still happening in Welly lol

rob cooper
    Participant

yea had lots of that here this year but i think its good now she can lay eggs

Jacqui

Sounds like they’re not in diapause in Wellington yet then! 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.