Merry Christmas to all you monarch lovers!

• Creator
    Topic

chris
    Participant

Have a happy safe and peaceful Christmas :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Frach,

You must be feeling pretty down! This is Nature at its best (or worst) there are predators and parasites for every living organism, and if there wasn’t the whole ecological world would get out of balance. So in a way your two children will already be learning about Nature.

I can’t identify your pest, but wrote off to an international group, one of whom (Jim Mason, naturalist at the Great Plains Nature Center in Wichita, Kansas, has pointed me to an excellent website, http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biodiversity/invertebratesprog/hemwsite/

Go to the “virtual collection” and you can click your way through all the photographs.

But even without identifying your pest, your first concern is how to stop it in its tracks. There are several ways you can do that here on our website, try the moat method indoors (search on “moat”, “mosquito” and “cosy” and you’ll get some ideas and even pictures of what we’ve done to combat the pests of Monarchs.

Good luck Frach! And Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Jacqui

Gilly
    Participant

Hi Frach,
    I will alert Jacqui to this question. I’m not sure of the bug …. sad isn’t it 🙁

Chris Kean
    Participant

Just wanted to talk to someone about my monachs, a few weeks ago I had sixteen catepillars, I bought twelve new plants. Something has been eating them it is sucking them dry and killing them. I now have none of the original sixteen but I do have three new baby catepillars. The bug is black and aphid like, but the shell is hard and has yellow and white dots on it. It can not fly. I have captured two specimens, but have been unable to identify them anywhere so far, can someone please help me as I was hoping to share the lifecycle of a monach butterfly with my two children, but thus far they haven’t seen any turn into crysilis’s.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.