Message to butterfly lovers…

Tagged: , ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

chris
    Participant

In May this year, I started keeping a record of the monarchs I released. I send my release numbers to Dr Myron Zalucki, entomologist in Queensland who is interested in recording the sex of the monarch and how big – ie. 50 mm or under. I am definitely getting more female monarchs than males. It might be interesting if others took notes for our Trust and if they would like to email me the month statistics, I would send on to Myron . It could be interesting for us to know the statistics of male/female being released also.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Gillian,

The male Monarch has a black dot on each of his hindwings (the lower ones). These are scent patches. You can see a picture here:

http://www.monarchwatch.org/biology/sexing.htm

Cheers

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

It has been such a pleasure to see 8 of “my” butterflies take to the air this past week, but I don’t know how to tell males from females. Can someone explain please. I saw 2 presumably mating in flight to-day, one seemed larger than the other. I also didn’t know that monarchs take nectar from agapanthus flowers till I saw a couple on my daughter’s plant recently.

Gilly
    Participant

Pam…. can you email me on paws.for.thought@xtra.co.nz please and I will you how the entomologist told me to measure wingspan etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haven’t had a reply from Gill yet on how to measure wings, but I measure them from the part furtherest away from their head to the wing tip . As butterflys don’t keep still I found it easier to do it with the wings together and double the figure.
    I also tried measuring the length of caterpillars as well. This technique needs a lot of refining as to really get the growth rate I would have to put them into separate labled containers to estimate how fast they grow and time the hatching of the crysalis.

Pam

Discovery Team
    Participant

Hi Pam,

Good on you! This is Jacqui but not at home, so had to register again as I didn’t have my password.

I suggest that you contact Gill to tell her you’re keen to measure and record details, as there’s a scientific way of measuring the wings, and Gill can tell you all about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

yesterday, I pulled a very wet monarch female out of the drink thinking it had died as it’s wings were together. After placing it on a bush with it’s wings outstretched hoped maybe it could dry out and fly. well in the afternoon it disappeared from where I put it and searched for it. Later I found a live female around the same size that looked like it’s wings had wet blotches over it. So took it inside. the wings measured 9 cm and today it flew away a healthy female.

Anonymous
    Inactive

found a male today with a 10cm wingspan and another male with a 12 cm wingspan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

On Thursday released a male monarch with a 10cm wingspan
    Pam

Anonymous
    Inactive

In November I released 11 butterflies to my knowledge. More males than females. Since then I have released a male and a female.
    I will measure the wings from now on.
    Pam

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.