Mining vs conservation

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

You may want to vote in today's Yahoo NZ poll on mining in conservation land.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/polls/popup/-/poll_id/51931/

So far the "go ahead there's money in the ground" option is getting more votes than the "no don't mine, protect the environment" option.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Gill.
    That looks good – will get myself registered.
    Some of the stuff out there is so emotive – Greenpeace already talking civil disobedience at this early stage.
    Quite liked the quip from one of their spokespeople though: "There's already international concern about the Government's plans. Does John Key really want the reputation of being the George Bush of the South Pacific?"
    Best
    Trisha

Gilly
    Participant

Quite good discussion here – http://forum.forestandbird.org.nz/topic/mining

Gilly
    Participant

There is discussion on the Green's site/forum but it would be good to find a non-political view point somewhere…. I might have a search around during the day. Our govt sure is being scarce with details at present 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Terry.
    I don't think it's a done deal yet – but these light-weight polls don't help the conservation cause that I can see.
    They are media polls only.
    This proposal has come from govt at a time when NZ needs some dollars and is envious of Australia's mineral wealth.
    There might be just cause to dig in some remote areas which are not displaying any wildlife – but I can't find out where those areas are – I don't know at all.
    We certainly don't have the expanses Australia does.
    It is so complicated – and apart from me and you, nobody on this forum seems to have an opinion so I guess this isn't the place to discuss it, even though it was invited – in a way.
    Best
    Trisha

Terry
    Participant

Quite right Trisha

The Authorities will go ahead whatever! They just want to try to justify their position ahead of the decision. Don't be fooled!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks – yes, I'd seen this one earlier.
    Polls can be a such a trap once the data has been manipulated.
    "More info required" still equates to a 'yes' on this one.
    If anyone finds a good discussion forum to learn from – I'd love to hear about that.
    No point in being a radical protester without the facts.
    The govt. is not releasing worthwhile information at this stage – and by the time it does, it might be too late…sigh
    Trisha

Jacqui

This poll might offer more information (haven't looked at it…)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/3309721/Outrage-as-Key-signals-national-park-mining

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is not a Yes, No or Don't know issue.
    Without knowing the exact areas under consideration and seeing environmental impact reports we can trust, we can't vote in an informed way.
    Very trashy survey – just my personal opinion.
    I wouldn't add my number to it without a lot more information being available – which it is not, that I can find?
    If anyone has information, I'd love some links.
    I am far and away on the conservation side – but not informed enough to vote at this time.
    Trisha

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.