Monarch Butterflies on TV3 news tonight (wasps)

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

5 January 2014.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jaine
    Participant

Thank you Norm for taking the time to post this.
    I am aware of Mandy Barren’s paper on the impact of Pteromalu puparum red admirals but not the other reference.

I’ll do some research on Apanteles glomeratus/Cotesia glomerata, it would be great if a paper similar to Mandy’s was done to look at levels of impact on other species.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Jaine, references regarding non-target parasitism by Pteromalus puparum:
    Butterflies of New Zealand – G.W. Gibbs
    Phenology and parasitism of the red admiral butterfly – Barron, Wratton, Barlow.

Owing to a recent computer crash I am unable to pinpoint my reference to Apanteles glomeratus, but myself and another breeder have collected Nyctemera annulata larvae from the field and had a percentage of them produce cocoons which eclosed Cotesia wasps.

Jaine
    Participant

Thanks Norm
    I appreciate that – can you please share the source of the information (it’s important for me to have all the facts)

NormTwigge
    Participant

Apanteles glomeratus (syn. Cotesia glomerata) has been recorded to infect the native Magpie moth (Nyctemera annulata) and Pteromalus puparum, also introduced in the 1930’s to help control Pieris rapae, has also targeted both the Admirals and occasionally the Monarch.

Jaine
    Participant

Thanks Norm and Jacqui
    Yes the social wasps were accidentally introduced. There were parasitoid wasps like Cotesia glomerate and Cotesia rubeleca introduced to control small cabbage white butterflies but these are not known to target non Pieris spp.

Info on accidentally introduced wasps
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/about-doc/concessions-and-permits/conservation-revealed/wasps-lowres.pdf

and

Info on Cotesia glomerata and Cotesia rubecula
    http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1603/0046-225X-31.2.367?mobileUi=0&

NormTwigge
    Participant

A slight anomaly has crept in to the article, in that none of the four social wasps causing caterpillar (all species) mortality were introduced specifically, but rather found their own way into NZ. Because of the mild winters and lack of natural predators, plus an abundance of food sources, the wasps have become a major concern, particularly in the South Island forests where the Vespula wasps are competing with native birds for the honeydew food source.

Jacqui

TgaLiz
    Participant

Saw this live – great story Jacquie! Your garden looks lovely and very butterfly friendly

Jacqui
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.