Monarch Caterpillars in Timaru need new home

• Creator
    Topic

Kaz
    Participant

We have some monarch caterpillars in Timaru to give away, about 20 all up. Currently about 1cm.  They will need more swan plant/milkwood in about a week.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kaz
    Participant

nmkozik,

Would you like some eggs?  We can post these to you.  Just txt me your address details if you do.

I’m posting some to Katrina (above) tomorrow.  We got hers off the plants and have them ready to go, as per Jacqui’s instructions.

Karen

Jacqui

Thanks Kaz – appreciate the tips about what’s not working. Will get onto those fixes.

Could you place any more in a separate post or in one of the appropriate posts under Forum Help? This makes it easier to find them at a later stage.

Cheers and thanks again.

Kaz
    Participant

Also, the photo/link on your Alternative Host Plants (Monarch) isn’t showing/linking.  I’ve had programming experience and know I’d want to know if something wasn’t working.

Thanks for that egg info.  There’s a lot to it eh?!

I’ve emailed you a couple of Monarch photos you may like for the website.

Karen

Jacqui

Thanks Kaz, have fixed the problem with the “survey”.

Jacqui

Yes eggs can be mailed. The difficulty is that you can waste a lot of your precious leaves if you send eggs + leaf. So this is what I do (others may have other suggestions – there’s no “rules” for this, remember).

I remove the eggs by spraying them with water in a mister (to loosen them) and picking them up with the business end of a child’s natural paintbrush. I transfer them to a clean paper towel and put them into a very small container, inside an envelope and mail them Fastpost. They don’t need air, water or food until they hatch. Of course, newly laid eggs are best rather than some that are 3-4 days old – but how to tell? So perhaps add a small leaf in there for any that hatch to munch on while they complete the journey.

When they arrive, the person should check them each day and as they go grey just before they hatch, be on the lookout for that change. When they hatch I suggest they lift the little caterpillar using a paintbrush again and then paste them individually onto the new tips of a swan plant.The new tips are best because if you put them in the centre they are sort of “protected” on all sides and won’t fall out.

Hope that helps.

Kaz
    Participant

Jacqui, I was surfing around this website, which looks great btw, and noticed your ‘link’ link in the Survey page isn’t working – it didn’t take me to the survey.

Kaz
    Participant

Oh bugger about not being able to send them 🙁

Jacqui, do you mean I could post the eggs?  We still have eggs as well, just today another butterfly was laying!

Jacqui

Folks, I wouldn’t send caterpillars – they tend to get stressed and that’s when disease or other “uncontrollables” break out. You won’t be able to keep them from being jostled about which can be done when you’re sending eggs.

Just my opinion…

Jacqui

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Do you have any extra eggs on the plants? I am in Dunedin and have plenty of lush green plants!

kind regards

Katrina

Kaz
    Participant

Great idea, thanks. I’ll put them in a wee cardboard (softer?) postage box and post them down to you.  Apart from some plant, do you think they need anything soft packaged with them? Don’t worry about postage, I’ll pay.

Txt your adr to 027 336 4305.  I’ll wait a few days till they’re a bit bigger, will tell you when I post them, let me know how they are when they arrive e.g. still alive lol.  Does Kurow currently have Monarchs?

Cheers, Karen

nmkozik
    Participant

anyway u can post them in a marg pottle with some of the plant in in to kurow? i have 4 plants no caterpillars if u sent it on monday it would get here on wednesday i would pay post mayb 5 caterpillas? that way theres enough?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.