Monarch Health

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Took this from the UGA website:

1. Caterpillar Death

Larvae can die from many causes besides OE, including infection with bacteria, viruses, parasitoids, and temperature extremes. What you may see:

* Larvae turn black and fall to the bottom of the tub

* Larvae stop feeding and wither away

* Larvae will turn to mush when trying to form pupa

* Parasitic flies form inside larvae/pupae (if larvae came from outside)

To maintain healthy populations, you must remove any dead larvae immediately, and replace all milkweed in the tub with fresh plants. Always wear gloves when doing so and sterilize all equipment after.

2. Milkweeds pests

Milkweeds are susceptible to thrips, aphids, spider mites, fungal gnats, and powdery mildew. Spider mites can cause damage to your milkweed supply and reduce its nutritional value to monarch larvae. Thrips can actually eat monarch eggs. For these reasons, you need to ensure that your milkweed is pest-free. However, never use insecticides on milkweeds you plan to feed to larvae. Always use non-toxic, mild soap solutions. Also, always ensure that milkweeds are pest-free before using it for ovipositioning- thrips eat monarch eggs.

3. Adult Death

Adults can die, particularly if you keep the adults under conditions that are too hot and dry, or if they are refrigerated for too long below 10-12 degrees celsius. If they are not fed regularly, adults will starve. Check their abdomens- if they are plump, they are ok, if they appear thin, they need to be fed.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

Ive moved my post to the new thread

Swansong

Anonymous
    Inactive

Swansong and Charlotte – I would love this info also.

The orange beasties have found my garden, and squishing alone doesn’t seem to be a solution.

Perhaps a new post? Maybe this got buried?

Swansong – you were using something before with some success? What was that?
    I haven’t been brave enough to do anything other than SQUISH.
    Thinking about moving all the cats off the affected plants and isolating them (plants) for a more systematic squish and soapy wash down. At this stage all my plants are potted.
    Any advice VERY welcome!!

Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Good post Swansong. I would be interested also.

Thanks
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

“Always use non-toxic, mild soap solutions”

Id be grateful for any suggestions of brands please?

Thanks
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Jacqui,

Thanks for posting this. I read this on one of the links you posted, very good reading.

Shall investigate and let you all know, if we find the answer. Here’s hoping it was only the heat!!.

Cheers
    CHarlotte

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.