"Monarchs aren't laying"

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Yet another phone call from someone telling us that their plants were surrounded by Monarchs but “they’re not laying”…

Once again I suggest that he throw an old net curtain over one of his plants and see what happens. I don’t suppose he will phone me again. I told him the Monarchs more likely were laying on his plants but the wasps were taking the caterpillars and eggs.

First time it’s ever happened, he said. Never seen it before. I tried to explain that the males were patrolling the plants waiting for females to come along – and asked him if he knew how to tell the difference between a male and a female. Silence. Oh, he then said. I thought they were all the same, sort of, bisexual.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Love it! Merry Christmas, Bernie.

Bernie
    Participant

Grandaughter was 10 at the time.

Jacqui

How old is your granddaughter, Bernie?

Bernie
    Participant

A couple of years ago,I was in the Gambia.They have a beautiful variety of the plain tiger there that has white hindwings.After a lot of searching,I managed to find two larvae which I brought back to GB.Both eventually emerged as adults but were two females.I was extremely fed up but our grandaughter suggested that things may be OK as one of them might be a lesbian!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.